Detachment to Rhodesia in 1959...

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

TobyVickers wrote:Peter,

Slightly off topic, but what was that one like to fly, as a combat aircraft? I dont know what if any actual conflicts you may have been involved in, but of the various paircraft you flew for the RAF what would you have most trusted (or not trusted!) in a combat situation?
Toby,

It was a great turning aeroplane and if you could cut in behind something then there was no possibility of being out turned. However, there was a shortage of speed and at M0.86 you went out of control. I got good combat film of many faster aircraft that chose to stay and turn with me...Often a range increasing shot but no problem with pulling a superior rate of turn to get the necessary deflection. I got good shots of F100 Super Sabres even...when they made the mistake of pulling "G"...But when they eased and slammed in the reheat they just bore away to a small climbing dot in seconds. I also got a couple of nice Hunter shots when they made the same mistake. But all these chaps soon learned not to turn with a Venom and then it was really stalemate provided you saw him coming...Simply a matter of breaking towards and there was no chance that he could pull the required higher rate of turn to get the deflection...He would seldom take the bait and bore on through at high speed till quickly out of range and there would be very little chance of a gunsight shot on him. We could not really bounce Hunters as they were already cruising faster than our best Mach Number...They had to make the mistake of trying to turn with us, for us to have a chance of a shot.

For a really robust rock steady gun platform the best I flew was the Meteor VIII, but a Venom would out turn it.

The only slight conflict I was involved in was when General Kasseem of Iraq laid claim to Kuwait in 1961 and by that time I was on Hunter FGA9s and again in the Ground Attack role that I had always flown. I did fly a couple of top cover flights over the Iraq border but nobody ever saw an Iraqi fighter in that whole scenario...Our role was to stop his tanks and he never actually sent any so I guess his bluff was called.

If I was going to fly air combat with guns then I would probably prefer the Hunter FGA9 for its very solid robustness rapid roll and safe high angle of attack turning. It would probably out gun anything with its 4 30mm Aden Gunpack, but with the limitation of only 7 seconds firing time. Both it and the Venom would not take kindly to even one hit with a cannon shell. The Venom centifrugal engine would probably keep going but the Hunter axial flow engine would fail immediately.

I guess all this is really academic now with missiles...the only thing I've flown that fought with missiles was the Lightning and I certainly would not want to fight in that.

I guess if I was a young man and wanted to select a missile firing steed from all I've read and other hearsay, then I think I would chose a Harrier...I've never flown one but I think its vectored thrust offers distinct combat possibilities.

If I wanted to fly a very beautiful and supersonic fighter for it's sheer speed and missile capability then I would choose an F-16.

If I wanted to just own and fly a beautiful jet fighter to lavish care on, admire and fly occasionally when I could afford it. Then it would quite definitely be a Hunter FGA9 and I would call it "Echo" :dance:

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Thanks Peter, that was very interesting. Your photo up the top suddenly sparked off a though in my head that 90% of all the photos of similar aircraft I have seen, are at airshows, so I was wondering how they fare in the role for which they were really designed. :smile:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Peter, I don't reply to all the threads you post but you can rest assured that every one is read like a best seller!! :dance:

Do hope that you continue to bring your're memoirs and photographs here as I find them so very interesting, yes, there are books published on various types of aircraft including the Venom, Hunter and not forgetting the classical passenger aircraft of the fifties and sixties but sadly many of these have very little accounts written in from the pilots who flew them. To me, it is not just reading about the history and design but more to the point, the way they were flown from a pilots perspective.

Peter, you are one of the few who do this and do it so well, please continue the good work.

Regards Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Nigel H-J wrote: Do hope that you continue to bring your're memoirs and photographs here as I find them so very interesting, yes, there are books published on various types of aircraft including the Venom, Hunter and not forgetting the classical passenger aircraft of the fifties and sixties but sadly many of these have very little accounts written in from the pilots who flew them. To me, it is not just reading about the history and design but more to the point, the way they were flown from a pilots perspective.

Peter, you are one of the few who do this and do it so well, please continue the good work.
Nigel,

Thanks for the comments and I'm glad you are enjoying these pictures...not too many coloured ones left now but have a few posts to do...I'm really getting these shots ready for inclusion in my website, which at the moment stops in about 1955...These colour shots along with some more black & white shots will be able to advance my site to 1963, the end of my service career :roll:

smithcorp
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by smithcorp »

Amazing shots again Peter - thanks for sharing them. I wait with bated breath (note correct spelling of bated - you won't see that often on the intarweb) for each instalment!

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

smithcorp wrote:Amazing shots again Peter - thanks for sharing them. I wait with bated breath (note correct spelling of bated - you won't see that often on the intarweb) for each instalment!
Hi Smithcorp,

My use of the word "bait" was referring to the type you dangle to catch a fish :smile: Your "bated breath" is probably abbreviated from "abated" :lol:

andy

Post by andy »

smithcorp wrote:Amazing shots again Peter - thanks for sharing them. I wait with bated breath (note correct spelling of bated - you won't see that often on the intarweb) for each instalment!
It's just a pity that you misspelt "interweb".................. :shock: :wink:

smithcorp
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by smithcorp »

petermcleland wrote:
Hi Smithcorp,

My use of the word "bait" was referring to the type you dangle to catch a fish :smile: Your "bated breath" is probably abbreviated from "abated" :lol:
Ooops! :-# Not aimed at you Sir, I can assure you! - nope, it's just one of those pet hates about English use you see on the 'net, like loose instead of lose, and Yanks (apologies to any reading, God bless all here) who type "wala" instead of voila (or even "viola" - a musical instrument is preferable to a phonetic mess!).

edit - just did a word search and saw your (correct of course) use of bait when talking about the Sabres - how bloody embarrassing!

regards

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks for the comments and I'm glad you are enjoying these pictures...not too many coloured ones left now but have a few posts to do...I'm really getting these shots ready for inclusion in my website, which at the moment stops in about 1955...These colour shots along with some more black & white shots will be able to advance my site to 1963, the end of my service career
Peter, I only hope that you continue to add to your excellent website (which I have visited on many occassions) of your time flying in civilian life with BEA and finally BA, of the aircraft and experiences, I am sure that it would be as interesting as your time with the RAF.

Regards Nigel
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.