Slightly Shocking

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Reheat
Victor
Victor

Slightly Shocking

Post by Reheat »

Fancied playing around with props tonight, had totally forgotten about this in my collection and did a small flight around home plate (Shoreham) then did an evening flight from Cairo to Alexandria - got a bit dark after T/O so no shots en route.

Really surprising how much I enjoyed it - just got to forget that its American and it had a Merlin anyway ;)

Alex

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

is that the IRIS P-40?
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Reheat
Victor
Victor

Post by Reheat »

Indeed it is, I especially like the soundset - nice flight model but of course its probably not to everyones taste here.

Alex

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

I didn't realise they released a P-40F. Cool. Most everyone else releases the Allison V1710 versions.

Reheat
Victor
Victor

Post by Reheat »

Chris,

Here is the details of what is included model-wise taken from the "readme" file:

* A total of twenty-seven high quality weathered textures covering the many air forces that flew the Warhawk and Kittyhawk.
* A total of twenty models covering the P-40E, P-40F, P-40L, P-40N and the twin seat TP-40N trainer all carrying a variety of ordnance.
* Custom sounds recorded from the P-40E’s Allison V-1710-39 and Rolls Royce Merlin engine.

but one of the coolest things, for me anyway, is that you can sit in either the front or back seat in the P-40N version. Simple things please simple minds eh!

Alex

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

It would be more than slightly shocking at 150 ft agl in real life as a merlin will not run inverted under negative g!

Chris

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Chris, that's not quite correct. Only the early models wouldn't run inverted. By the time the Merlin was installed in the P40F, an Aerobatic Carbouretor had been installed on the engine.

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Well, an interesting point. What in fact happened as far as I know was that the negative g problem was solved to an extent by " Miss Shilling's orifice" which was a washer with a hole in it put in the float chamber , but the engine still would not run for long upside down unless positive g was maintained throughout as in a properly executed loop. It was this which caused the fatal demise of the last flying Mosquito, where in a roll negative g was allowed to develop. As far as I know, Merlins ( but not the Griffon) never adopted a negative g carburetter

FWIW Chris

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

The Merlin was fitted with a Stromberg carburetor which allowed for inverted and negative 'G' flight by the Spitfire VIII and IX. All of the Merlin P-51s were powered by Stromberg carb'd Merlins. I tried to find a website with more on the Stromberg but I haven't been able to find anything in aviation applications, only in vehicle applications which really doesn't explain them in the right situation.

Ed Walters
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Ed Walters »

The tragic loss of the BAe owned Mosquito (it's 10 years ago this Friday) was in fact caused by an improperly adjusted carb. The carb is capable of running under negative G's but unfortunately when it was rebuilt, it was set up incorrectly, which restricted the fuel flow. The AAIB's report has it all in there. A terrible shame that the crew and aircraft were lost due to the incompetence of the rebuilder. The same rebuilder did some carbs for the BBMF and these were also found to have a problem that restricted the fuel flow.