Duxford under threat

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Duxford under threat

Post by TobyV »

The plans here:

http://scambs.jdi-consult.net/ldf/viewr ... epid=12986

appear to show a proposed "motorway service area" ( petrol station etc) the other side of the motorway from Duxford's threshold. This might have the affect of stopping flying at Duxford :shock:

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Duxford under threat

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TobyV wrote:The plans here:

http://scambs.jdi-consult.net/ldf/viewr ... epid=12986

appear to show a proposed "motorway service area" ( petrol station etc) the other side of the motorway from Duxford's threshold. This might have the affect of stopping flying at Duxford :shock:
Fits in well with CCC's campiagn against aviation. Not the first time they've had a pop at Duxford, but at least last time they left 5000ft of runway...

I hope they see sense - how much good do Duxford's events do them.

...oh, and only 3 aircraft have crashed in that field, and two adjacent... :roll:
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

I don't see how the economics would stack up either, as this would be so close to the services at the Stanstead junction (which motorway travellers are used to using) and only a couple of junctions south of the Tesco services at Bar Hill (which the locals use, coz it's so damn cheap!!)?

AndyG

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Not too familiar with such documents, but it looks like CCC have other ideas for this area and someone wants to retain the idea of a service station.

At the top in red there is "OBJECT", ie they are objecting to plans for the area.

What were CCC planing?

andy

Post by andy »

If it did happen, I bet you couldn't get on there to take a break when there's an airshow on. :wink:

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

ianhind wrote:Not too familiar with such documents, but it looks like CCC have other ideas for this area and someone wants to retain the idea of a service station.

At the top in red there is "OBJECT", ie they are objecting to plans for the area.

What were CCC planing?
Ian I got that link from another forum. Basically they want people to make objections to this proposal. The landowner of the ground to the east of the M11, immediately opposite Duxford's runway (in fact some of that land used to form part of the airfield before the M11 was built and the runway shortened) to construct a service area.

Stewart Pearson
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Hi there,

I personally would love to object to this, but considering a) I live in Scotland, b) I have never been to Duxford and c) due to health probs, I am unlikely ever to get, I reckon Camb Council would probably bin my objection.

However, I have a couple of thoughts for anyone in a position to submit a valid objection;

1) Do the CAA know about this? Surely to god even a non aviation fan/buff must realise that siting a petrol station at the end of a runway is not the most sensible idea. Don't get me wrong, I can see from the link that there may well be a need for services in the locale, but fer gawd's sake, why there?

2) Does the local MP know about it?

3) Does the Imperial War Museum know about it?

I personally would be copying my letter to the above 3 parties, and I would be citing the danger aspect as a main reason for objecting.

Duxford is an operating airfield and has been since 1917, therefore any development must fit in with the existing infrastructure.

From an aviation point of view the proposed site would leave any pilot experiencing an engine failure on take-off absolutely no place to go.

I would be interested to know if any one on the forums is going to object, as there is no doubt that were this preposterous idea to be implemented, there would shortly follow a restriction of flying due to the very safety aspects I have mentioned.

ATB

Stewart :smile:

andy

Post by andy »

The planners would probably see the filling station as the perfect reason for stopping all flying activity at Duxford. :sad:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

There is already a fuel station opposite Duxford so why do they need another one a few hundred yards down the road??? :roll:

Difficult to tell who might be responsible for this. The local council must be aware of the massive trade brought into the area by the 4 annual shows but maybe a motorway service area (if that's what is being built or proposed) would generate more by way of jobs.

I'm sure that someone, somewhere know's what they're doing!! :roll:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Angus
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Angus »

Stewart Pearson wrote:
1) Do the CAA know about this? Surely to god even a non aviation fan/buff must realise that siting a petrol station at the end of a runway is not the most sensible idea.
If I was a betting man, I would be prepared to bet that the CAA are supportive of the proposals - they seem to take the view that the more damage that can be done to anything that is not (preferably low-cost) airline related, the better. And the petrol station at the end of the runway will probably turn out to be a convenient reason to ban aircraft flying into and out of Duxford, on "health & safety" grounds.
"The wisest man is not the one who knows the most, but the one who realises he knows the least."

Angus