Gloster Gladiator at Sim OutHouse

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Rich
VC10
VC10

Post by Rich »

Kevin many thanks, I am using the MkII airfile on the MkI as the FF feel is much better and it does away with the pitch problem.

Thanks for the info on the paint job, I am 64 today and had never heard of or come accross pics of anything with the black and white undersides, allways learning something new.

Leif, looking forward to your mid 30s paint, also messing with one myself but it will not be of the standard of our resident artists if it ever gets done I am such a messy worker with 3 repaints on the go at the same time, want to get KN452 finnished first, the last DakIII on front line service Aden 1967, actualy flew in it
Rich

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Post by Jon.M »

Happy Birthday Rich. :partyman:

Jon

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Celebrating the 43rd. anniversary of your 21st eh?

Happy Birthday Rich 'n many more of em! :birthday:

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Kevin
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Kevin »

Rich,

May I too wish you a very happy birthday :wave: :birthday: :clap:

Kevin

Kevin
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Kevin »

Guys,

I've spotted a flaw in my earlier 'quick-fix' offered above - a simple swap of '.air' files won't be sufficient, as the Mk II's propellor curves are also included.

Why does this matter? Well, the Gladiator Mk I had a fixed-pitch 2-blade prop, and the Mk II a 3 blade VP prop and the net result is a set of FDEs which has a prop which won't let the aeroplane take off, although it's fine at speed.

What I have now done is to substitute a set of propellor curves for an appropriate fixed-pitch prop into the '.air' file to give the Mk I back its ability to take off!

This necessitates issuing a new '.air' file to cure the original pitch oscillation problem.

I have therefore uploaded a modified '.air' file to Classic British Files, for those who want it: give it time to appear.

I would like to emphasise that this is purely a fix for the pitch oscillation and is not intended to modify performance or handling, although there are bound to be some changes as a result of using the Mk II file as the basis. However, most of the performance differences are in the 'aircraft.cfg' files anyway, and the Mk I handling shouldn't really differ from the Mk II anyway.

Ignoring my modification for the moment, this aeroplane (the unmodified Mk II & the Sea Gladiators) are lovely things to fly and I thank the designer, who certainly does NOT live up (down?) to his pseudonym. :lol:

Cheers,

Kevin

kikko
Comet
Comet

Post by kikko »

very nice! I did just some adds to the cockpit. :lol:

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Hi all,

Just received this reply from Craig after a query to him,

"Hello Graham,
Please feel free to post up-dates to the Gladiator series planes as you feel necessary.
Cheers Craig Bielat aka Thicko"

I used the aircraft cfg of the MkII, adding the contact points and lights to it from the MkI. Must admit, never looked at the prop, just happy to have it fly OK. I have also added cannon effects to all of them if anyone is interested.

Graham

thehappyotter
Concorde
Concorde

Post by thehappyotter »

Kevins mod here

Grahams mod here

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Up on all nodes today, by Bob Chicilo seagladu.zip

Graham