moving on

Check here to keep abreast of FSAirlines updates.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

david balmer

moving on

Post by david balmer »

well what can i say but you all have been a great laugh to be with, pity the same could not be said for flynet. tonight was the final straw with this program. i hope one day it will come out of beta and work correctly. not screwing up peoples machines. tonight whilst decending into manchester my machine closed down it signal to the monitor, whilst still flying and hearing the aircraft in the headset. nothing would closedown the computer. not even ctrl/alt/delt. i had to pull the plug to stop it.
having cleaned and moved things around over the last few weeks to try and accomodate flynet, i have come to the conclusion that this program has serious problems that need to be addressed. on the plus side i did enjoy the flightplanning and seeing my flight progress. i have not deleted my profile as one day i might come back to it. hopefully by then it has been fixed.
i will still be around the cbfs forum, one of the best places on the fs net to be. please don't think bad of me jumping ship, but i have become very frustrated with flynet in it's present form. if by chance one day you decide to run your own website va then call me i'll be over like a shot. best wishes with you future flying.

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

David,

Sorry to see you leave CBFSVA and FlyNET, however I have to say that you're the first to report anywhere that you're having such problems. I have to conclude (with having several thousand people having run FlyNET to date) that the issues are more with your system than the program unfortunately. I know you've tried changing things, but it is entirely possible that it's something in the core of your system's setup that is the root of your issues. The most serious issue that has been reported on the FlyNET forums (which is where you need to be posting your issues anyway since Konny doesn't visit here and he's the only one who can fix problems with the program) is FlyNET shutting down, not the computer.

With you having continuing issues of the sort you have, I have to make the serious suggestion that you consider a complete wipe of your primary HD and clean re-install of Windows and re-build your computer from the ground up with clean installations of all of your programs. I had to unfortunately do that last year on my old system, but it solved most of the problems I was having in addition to speeding up my computer considerably becuase it had the side-effect of a forced defragment of the HD.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Sorry your leaving David.

For info, the system Crash your talking about sounds like the same one I had been experiencing intermittenly until the begining of this year, long before I'd ever heard of flynet.

A complete format and rebuild did the trick, but it took weeks to get FS running as I wanted it after the rebuild.

All the best,
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi David,

I'm sorry to hear of your woe's too and understand your frustration :sad: I thought I'd had my fair share of problems but they seem nothing compared to yours. As CT stated, it could well be something on your system but that's small consolation if you have no idea where to look and the only remedy is a total format and reload of windows :k:

On my setup, I can get away with 4 or 5 flights trouble free but on the 6th, I find I can't see my booked flight. Ben, who know's about such things, says that FlyNET leaves hooks (whatever these are) and it seems that my wireless router will only tolerate so many before it refuses to connect to the client. My system looks like its connected to the client but it's not.. hence the reason my booked flight can't be seen. A reboot of the router and all is well again!! Odd, mighty odd but the problem does seem to be mine. Anyhow.. I'm used to it now so when it happens, I know what to do. That's a by-the-by and doesn't help you out at all.

Fingers crossed something turns up David as good pilots are hard to come by :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

MALTBY D
The Gurus

Post by MALTBY D »

Sad to hear you are quitting Dave.

Understand your reasons, but I also doubt FlyNet is really to blame.
Like most developers, Konny is only making use of other peoples 'bug ridden' software & hardware to make it all happen.
Konny's software is only getting details off FSUIPC & sending them to his website. Booking problems & incorrect flight details would be FlyNet type bugs. System crashes are something else.
Maybe FlyNet will never work on your setup, but the real problem is most likely in the drivers that control your hardware.

Hope you manage to get around it somehow & get back flying CBFS.

DM

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi Dave

Really sorry to hear of your decision to put the VA/FlyNET on the backburner. As has previously been mentioned it is probably some sort of hardware/software conflict but can appreciate how hard these are to track down. As DM says, the client juct cherry picks the data from fs9 vis fsuipc and relays it to the website. The fact that you're getting some sort of a crash points to either a hardware problem or a software problem. When I say software, I'm not talking FlyNET client, I mean a driver or something in FS9. A couple of years ago when I was flying on eSkyworld, I used to get frequent lockups and it took me ages to get to the bottom of it and nearly threw in the towel with eSkyworld thinking that was the problem. It turned out to be self inflicted as the crash/lockups were due to an addon that I was using - in that case it was a thrid party soundfile for a particular aircraft. Once I had stumbled on the reason for the locks/CTD I never had any further problems.

I sincerely hope you try all what has been suggested and perhaps take things slowly with the addons giving each a proving time before more get added. RP nearly threw in the towel in the early days but managed to find a cure for his problems.

Over time we all get a bloated FS9 installation and a clean sweep often refreshes the system and gives it a chance to cope. You like me probably have a hangar full of aircraft that very rarely see the light of day. A fresh instal is a daunting task as we all add so much into the game. We just forget to take stuff out when we stop using it.

Consider yourself on an extended vacation from the VA and feel free to start flying any time you like.

Rgds

John

david balmer

Post by david balmer »

thanks for the support, after posting this message my machine went down total. after two days being repaired at the shop and internal parts moved around. also a new video card. things have got back to normal.
the first video card was placed to close to the multi media outlet card and as such was not getting air for cooling. the gap between both cards was the thickness of a fiver. the fan was doing nothing. in the end the card burned out. so now they have moved the multi media card lower in the machine and the replacement video card has been placed about 1inch higher. so the cooling fans should now work.
the ati x550 has been replaced with a ati radeon x1600 pro pci express with the option of crosswire, and is vista compatible. have no idea about this video card, they said it was a much faster card than my other and a better quality. lets hope so. the last one only lasted 6months.
have conducted flight testing and hopefully be back online sometime next week. i'll give flynet and me another chance. missed my flying and it's only been a few days. :crying: i could not leave such a good bunch of crazies as yourselves. :lol: :lol: well it's of for some sleep and then to work. todays temp for interest is 47deg with the humidity, tonight we are expecting severe thunder storms.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

That's great news David :wink: It get's kinda addictive doesn't it :lol:

Fingers crossed this is the end of your woe's and look forward to seeing you up and active again soon :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi Dave,

Thats great news, I'm very envious of your new graphics card. Looking forward to seeing you in the virtual skies again soon. Now if we could just tempt Sean back :worried:

Rgds

John

MALTBY D
The Gurus

Post by MALTBY D »

Hooray! :dance:
That is good to hear.
Fingers crossed for the FlyNet test. Just don't go to Norwich. :worried:

DM