Emerald Airways

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Thats an interesting comparison of the 748 and the ATP there Jonesey. One thing I do regret was the ditching of the big picture windows on the 748 and F.27 for the more modern small windows on the ATP and F.50 :sad:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

It is an interest comparison

Just show what a pig's ear they made turning it into the BAe 748ATP.

Silly pointed nose that didn't match, a swept back fin that looked wrong and engines that looked like they were pinched from something else.

It was a bit of a joke making such an old fashioned looking aeroplane and calling it the Advanced Turo Prop.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

I dont mind the appearance of it aesthetically, but of course you must remember that each and every change on there would have been made for engineering reasons:

The nose is probably a combination of a newer weather radar being fitted and (presumably) higher cruising speed which would also account for the swept tail. The engines are probably the most suitable ones for that class of aircraft - they are also fitted to the Bomarbdier Q series (ex-DHC-8) and the Fokker 50 amongst others. The longer fuselage obviously to permit a greater pax capacity and the wing from the Andover to cope with the greater all up weight of the aircraft.

In terms of the technology, I suppose it was 'advanced' in the sense that it embodied state of the art technology of the time (mid 80s) and represented a technological improvement over the 748.

As to why you'd use the existing 748/780 as a basis, obviously cost and the fact that the wing and the fuselage structure were 'proven' would help. In much the same way Boeing is still building 737s that are recognisably developments of the 1960s original, 40 years on.

I think that at that time there were too many competitors in this market; the major players being the Fokker 50, Dash-8, SAAB 340/2000, ATP and the ATR 42/72. The two designs based on old equipment (the Fokker and the BAe ATP) lost out as seemingly has the SAAB. I guess the Dash-8/Q-series is now the leader and the ATR is #2.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

The design was adapted because it was cheaper than starting from scratch.

The Andover wing was used because of the wide centre section. The Andover had larger props so that was needed and the outer wings were shortened and in fact the were a little less than standard 748. The HS.780 was not higher lift wing.

I realise there may have been reasons to change the nose and tail although at the time it was said to give it a more modern appearance, but it was done badly.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

I quite like it tbh... :smile:
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

draken79
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by draken79 »

ermmm havnt really read the thread but if i get the jist, get a 748 preserved do do what the stupid rail enthusiats did and just preserve the equivilant to the 707. if its ther save it for gods sake.