Manchester AVP 3 aircraft tours

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Manchester AVP 3 aircraft tours

Post by TobyV »

Manchester Airport Viewing Park are apparently running pre booked 3 (arguably 2.5) airrcaft tours (DC-10, RJX, Concorde) which I believe is priced at £30/person. Neil told me about this because apparently bookings are very low because its not been advertised anywhere.

It has to be pre booked via the Airport Tour Centre. You might find some useful info here, but thats not guaranteed :roll: :lol:

I wrote the blurb they'll be using to describe the RJX and its 146/RJ predecessors, so if anyone goes, I'd be interested on feedback on that part of the tour!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

TBH I think that's very expensive......but hopefully any money will go to preservation of the aircraft.

Just imagine though a family of four.......

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

I think, though dont quote me, that Concorde on its own is £12, so there is something of a bulk discount. I know the Concorde tour does last 30 minsand I was asked to provide 20 mins of blurb for the RJX, not including possible facts and questions, so I'd guess the whole thing might last 90 mins. Theres quite a bit of AV equipment installed on the DC10 so they may make use of that, but yes as a day out its certainly not cheap. AFAIK the guides are mostly (all?) volunteers, so I'd guess that the proceeds go back into the AVP.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I have to admit that I find £30 per noggin a bit steep too. Makes Brooklands (also manned by volunteers) seem free at £7.50 doesn't it! OK.. you'll pay a couple more (£2.50 I think) to get onboard the shell of DG but even so, that's only a tenner and you can stay there from opening to closing :think:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

andy

Post by andy »

Maybe it includes a three course lunch..........??? :lol:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

andy wrote:Maybe it includes a three course lunch..........??? :lol:
Hey Steve if it was one of those eat all you can deals I think they would be out of pocket if I went. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I'd like to think so Steve but I doubt it somehow :wink:

Come to think of it, I can't think of a tour in the land that charge £30 a shot. I'm not saying there aren't any but they certainly wouldn't get my trade. Drag the good lady and daughter along and you're looking at £90 plus petrol.. make that say £140 for 90mins. A return flight to Amsterdam plus the lady of your choice is odd's on favourite :lol:

ATB

DaveB:tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

I've been lucky enough to get on board all three. £30 quid is far too dear IMHO, and thats not including the entrance fee into the AVP! :shock:
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

andy

Post by andy »

DaveB wrote:I'd like to think so Steve but I doubt it somehow :wink:

Come to think of it, I can't think of a tour in the land that charge £30 a shot. I'm not saying there aren't any but they certainly wouldn't get my trade. Drag the good lady and daughter along and you're looking at £90 plus petrol.. make that say £140 for 90mins. A return flight to Amsterdam plus the lady of your choice is odd's on favourite :lol:

ATB

DaveB:tab:
:smile: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Does anyone else get the feeling that Manch airport doesn't really want this facility?

It would make a lot more money if it was yet another pay and display.