Creating an A/C in Gmax!

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Vulcan_to_the_Sky!
Concorde
Concorde

Creating an A/C in Gmax!

Post by Vulcan_to_the_Sky! »

Hi all,

I had a go at creating an aircraft (a simple hang-glider in gmax). I've managed to create the thing, make a MDL file and texture it but I cant get it to come up properly in flightsim :doh:

It comes up on the screen, but when the sim loads, while the panel is there, the plane is not, is there something I need to do to create an aircraft.cfg rather than do it through fsedit.exe?

Any help given is appreciated,

Cheers,

James.

P.S Im going away on monday, if I dont reply Im not being rude, just not near an ISP :doh:

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

So you see the model on the aircraft selection screen, but not in the game, is that right?
The model could be "hiding" below ground level if the origin or contact points are a long way out. Have you tried flying it?
Dave G.

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Guys

I have found that if a model is scaled wrong it does not appear in the game but show up in the preview window.

I have also one model that did the opposite.

Make sure the model is roughly scaled to say 12 feet long.

I found that the one that previewed but no showed in sim was .001 of a Meter long :doh:

A but like the Hitchikers Guide where "due to a miscalulation of scale the battle fleet was swallowed by a small dog" :doh:

Regards
Rick :wink:

Ed Walters
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Ed Walters »

LOL!
I had a similar one where I had an ENORMOUS Lancaster - due to an error exporting, it exported with feet as metres - so it had a 102 metre wingspan!
Last edited by Ed Walters on 27 Aug 2006, 01:34, edited 1 time in total.

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Ed

It's pretty easy to miss on your first few compiles and think
"wth did the model go?"

But after a few hours of head scratching i found out why.

My other early days favorite was to get a part really well contoured then hit snap to scale and forget that i had not yet changed the scale perameter and end up with what looks much like a Balsa & tissue model that my Mum had sat on accidentally. :doh:

Good old FSDS1 with no Undo that i could find at the time.

Regards
Rick :wink:

Vulcan_to_the_Sky!
Concorde
Concorde

Thanks guys for all your advice so far!

It shows in the a/c selection screen, but rather than rotate it just seems to "fly in" at an angle from a distance, perhaps its too small after all, I'll increase the wingspan as Rick has suggested and see if that works.

It also seems to be transparant, I thought that if you textured it in gmax, created a texture folder in flightsim and then copied the used textures in there after putting them through that image tool thing then they would work, but apparantly not!

The other problem I am having is the air file, the one that I managed to give it was based on a glider, but it wont turn or anything.

I'll try the suggestions you've all mentioned and see what happens.

Cheers Gents,

James.

P.S Full credit to all you aircraft modellers, if im struggling to make a hang glider I dont even want to think about how hard it must be to make a provost or a hunter!

Kevboy
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Kevboy »

Hi is it see through at some angles or allways as textures are single sided unless told or have another face. Sounds like you have set folders correct.
you could have a word with the lads here, http://www.scenerydesign.org/forum/foru ... y.php?f=27

I know its scenery based forum but would think they would help with texture problem. :think:
Kevboy.
:wink:

Callum
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Callum »

search for "free flight design shop" on google. Best advice can often be found there.

Vulcan_to_the_Sky!
Concorde
Concorde

Excellent, I'll try those suggestions.