Spot On

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

VC10
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by VC10 »

I had the diesel roller and Muffin the Mule.

Yes.......I know................., you can get locked up for Muffin the Mule these days

And the Centurian tank.
If God had meant us to fly, he would have given us tickets.

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Toby

i think the matchbox packaging you describe was the "superfast" range that tried to get back what they lost to "Hot Wheels"(Mattel).

Corgi "Rockets" where my favorite as the Elan type chassis was detachable but not as an adult i can't think why it was a feature as it was nothing like a real car exept possibly the Lotus Elan :dunno:

Anybody else have the Matchbos "Motoway" game thing with the track that pulled the cars round on a spring sunk in the road ?

Ah those where the days.

Regards
Rick

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Rick

My younger brother had one of those track games

Made a bit of a noise and his, at least was a bit jerky.

As to the "Whizz wheels" or what ever individual makers called them, It was OK on some types but spoilt things like Routmaster double deckers 'busses :huf:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Fortunately, I was out of these things when the whizzy wheels were bolted on by all and sundry. Never liked em.. and still don't! :doh: :lol:

Got a nice couple of cars on a shelf in the toyroom though nothing like Matchbox, Corgi or Spot-On.. an Aston Martin DB5 (1/18th) and a rather more expensive McLaren mit Mika Hakkinen at the wheel (also 1/18th).

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Rick Piper wrote:Hi Toby

i think the matchbox packaging you describe was the "superfast" range that tried to get back what they lost to "Hot Wheels"(Mattel).

Corgi "Rockets" where my favorite as the Elan type chassis was detachable but not as an adult i can't think why it was a feature as it was nothing like a real car exept possibly the Lotus Elan :dunno:

Anybody else have the Matchbos "Motoway" game thing with the track that pulled the cars round on a spring sunk in the road ?

Ah those where the days.

Regards
Rick
Hi Rick,

Hadnt heard of that, I just meant the ordinary die cast cars they were selling in the late 80s. Also there was a larger range called "Roadkings" I think. There were one or two more novel things later but I never had many of those, perhaps either they were too expensive or maybe it was just too recent :dunno: Only when I have been clearing out and selling off the stuff I had as a child did I realise quite how much I did infact have :redface: :worried: Of course when you are that age, you never see it like that, you just want the next thing :lol:

As well as Matchbox, there were of course similar scale models by Corgi and Siku of which I had a few. Perhaps one of the most interesting I still have though, is a Model Fire engine from a Czechoslovakian department store, complete with original box and receipt. This is incredibly crude and surely does not meet modern safety standards! Its formed from sheet metal thats been folded into a box shape, some details are impressed into the sheet, others painted on and there are a few plastic parts. It dates from a year or two before Czechoslovakia split into the Czech Republic and Slovakia.

Toby

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Only when I have been clearing out and selling off the stuff I had as a child
Most of mine disappeared long before I was aware of "selling them off" :lol: :lol:

Hmm, wonder what happened to my train set :dunno:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I know how you feel mate. I left home to join the RN at the tender age of 16 and got back to find the lot had gone!! :shock: Not many months later (while I was safely away at sea) my mom put a note in a letter that she'd given my 10-speed racer to my cousin :shock: :shock: :doh: I wouldn't care but he had it knicked at school!! :poke:

ATB

ImageImage

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Thats the one Ian - I think between the three brthers we had probably 150-200 Dinky military vehicles - I think my two personal favorites
were the 25 pounder with tractor and limber - and the Saladin APC

BTW I notice the main gun on your Centurion suffered the same as ours did
I think it was from trying to make a fixed casting elevate :)

It always amazes me how many like minds there are on this fourm

The caddie ambulance I remember - how about the Corgi Batmobile with
batboat trailer and of course James Bonds DB5 with all working bits

Leif

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Just noticed in my paper that Hornby are showing an interest, so perhaps all is not lost.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

All is not lost!! I can't remember what happened last week but I do remember the Batmobile and JB's Aston.. both of which have been re-released!! I never had the Batmobile but I did have the original release Aston (silver) with the machine guns front, bullet proof screen rear and ejecting oriental person.. tyre shredding wheel nuts too :smile: I was a bit miffed some years later to see the whole shebang being released (with JB figure) and a GOLD Aston :shock:
Corgi have since added a few 'dodgy' repro's to their collectors section!! :roll: I can't see the attraction of producing a 'Readibus' either! :k:

ATB

ImageImage