Nigeria bans older aircraft

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Nigeria bans older aircraft

Post by Garry Russell »

Nigeria seem to be getting stricter

http://aviation-safety.net/news/newsitem.php?id=1686

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

They banned One Elevens a couple of years ago. Its not necessarily because teh a/c are dodgy but because teh govt. know that the maintenance standards are a joke there and thats why they have had so many accidents. Under the circumstances, its probably the best thing for them to do.

Vulcan_to_the_Sky!
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vulcan_to_the_Sky! »

While I do find it sad that the older aircraft are now banned, I have to agree with Toby on this, its probably for the best. But surely the new aircraft that may replace some of them will also have the maintainence problem?

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Well you have fewer things going wrong on a new aircraft, so they dont need as much maintenance and you can probably get away with less. That and new aircraft wont have been parked up idle for so long. Compare it to running a new car compared to a 10-15 year old one (and these aircraft are typically much much older than that).

Vulcan_to_the_Sky!
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vulcan_to_the_Sky! »

ah that makes sense. I suppose thats the case at the moment with less maintainence.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Nigeria were crashing these aircraft when they were current types.

It's almost as if they are trying to divert from the fact that the standards over there have been lacking.

A lot of crashes have been pilot error and/or poor operational procedures and ban maintenance, nothing to do with aircraft defects.

After a One-Eleven crashed into a Mosque I suppose they had to be seen to do things.

The One-Eleven still had lots of life in it. The type was banned from Europe because of noise not because they were worn out.

Garry
Garry

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

I think that the govt. will find it easier to police whether or not old/"banned" types are taking off than they would to police maintenance and operational procedures properly, thats why they've chosen this route. You ae of course quite right about the One Elevens Garry, but over there they just cant get it right sadly.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Lets just hope it works!

Garry
Garry

Angus
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Angus »

Well I'm of the view that the age of a particular aircraft is irrelevant in determining how "safe" it is - maintenance is the most important factor. A brand new aircraft will still crash if it is poorly maintained, a 70-year old aircraft will be very safe if maintained to the necessary standard (or "very high standard" as it would be known today). All other factors being equal, poorly-maintained 737-300 manufactured in 2000 is more dangerous than a well-maintained 737-300 manufactured in 1984.
"The wisest man is not the one who knows the most, but the one who realises he knows the least."

Angus