Regional FSX?

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Regional FSX?

Post by Trev Clark »

I remember a MS survey from 18 months ago (when they were planning FSX). The results showed a strong request for national accents for the ATC and a more country specific autogen and textures.

Does anybody know if this will the case or will we still have the US drawl and 'flight following' stuff of FS2004. I no longer use ATC because I hate the same voices, time and time again, where ever I fly. I hope the 'improved' textures and moving traffic will be more realistic....and drive on the left (where appropriate) :huf:
ATB Trev

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Trev,

CT gave us an insight into this a couple of weeks ago mate and I'm pretty sure that 'regional' will not be something included in the release package.. unless of course your region happens to be the US :wink: We to'd and fro'd the discussion but in the end, it seems that M$ were concerned at the disc space something like this would require. I think that M$ missed what we actually wanted.. eg, a set of foreign accented voices speaking English presuming that we wanted foreign accents spoken in the native tongue. This appears to be their excuse anyway (though no misunderstanding is mentioned) :roll:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

I installed the deluxe RTM version yesterday and the voices seem the same but I do believe you can move the "USEnglishbig" file into FSX from FS9 and it will work so the EditVoicePack updates would move into FSX that way.

I also saw some talk about a Japanese accent in Japan...That is Japanese English Accent but I'm not sure if that is not just for the Japanese version of the release...I think it is :think:

Haven't done enough flying in it yet to finalise my settings and am rather busy doing that :smile:

DarrenBe
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by DarrenBe »

Same American voices, although on calling the Tower the QNH was quoted in hPa/millibars. ATIS still quote the QNH in inches.

I must be in a very small minority that have no problems with FSX. Scenery around my local area (Aberdeen) is a big improvement from FS9, especially the mesh scenery. Visual circuits are an absolute breeze and I can use the same landmarks (hills etc) as I did when I did my PPL training six years ago.

It does take a bit of tweaking to get an acceptable level of performance. On my tired old AMD XP2400 with a GT6800 I get around 25Fps with the sliders at approximately 50% - screen res 1024 x 768. FPS dips to mid-teens if I use an aircraft with the G1000. Autogen is switched off.

I suspect in a few weeks things will calm down a bit on the forums as people get comfortable with the new sim. The same uproar seems to happen on every new FS release.

Granted FSX isn't perfect and to be honest its what FS9 should have been.

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

what inperfect!!!! FS9 in a way is perfect to me just in need of a few tweeks!!!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Thanks for the feedback Darren. :smile:

I have been thinking that the autogen is what is causing the problem.. I know that the fancy stuff that ships with UK Airports (i.e. moving ground objects etc) kills my frame rates. Glad to hear your finding the Scottish scenery better.

Just out of curiosity, how does it compare to the Scotflight Scenery for FS9?

P.S. What is the G1000?
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

the G1000 is a GPD unit that is buit into the panel of some aircraft on the delux version

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Cheers Chris.. way too glass cockpit for me, so I guess my frame rates will be fine then. :lol: :dance:

ImageImageImage

DarrenBe
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by DarrenBe »

Ben,

Don't have the Scotflight scenery, so unfortunately can't make a comparison.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

No worries Darren. Must admit I love scotfligh... lots of little strips that otherwise don't get a look in. Nice Aberdeen too. :smile:

ImageImageImage