New Netherlands freeware scenery released......

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

gevers1
Viscount
Viscount

Post by gevers1 »

Jetset wrote:Looks nice, but not at that size. I would only ever fly to Amsterdam anyway so it's not worth it.
The trouble is that Holland is just so damn flat. It makes for great panzer country but for flying its just so, well, utterly devoid of features. Just lots and lots of flat textures ... I got GEPRo the other week which has Dutch style textures. All very nice, but after about 10 minutes flying out of EHAM on a VFR flight over my daily commute to The Hague i got bored with the lack of variation and just gave up.

igorski
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by igorski »

How is this freeware!? They must surely have bought the images from someplace?

johnhinson
Victor
Victor

Post by johnhinson »

gevers1 wrote:
Jetset wrote:Looks nice, but not at that size. I would only ever fly to Amsterdam anyway so it's not worth it.
The trouble is that Holland is just so damn flat. It makes for great panzer country but for flying its just so, well, utterly devoid of features. Just lots and lots of flat textures ... I got GEPRo the other week which has Dutch style textures. All very nice, but after about 10 minutes flying out of EHAM on a VFR flight over my daily commute to The Hague i got bored with the lack of variation and just gave up.
I haven't sampled this new version of NL2000 for a number of reasons (not least size) but certainly in v2 the scenery actually flattens existing mesh to make the country completely flat at 0' ASL. It isn't actually like that, there are some ups and downs to a height of 300' or so.

This was one of the reasons I removed NL2000 as I prefer having the undulations (and realistic airport altitudes) to super-accurate ground detail. The other was because you had to manually configure each season for its colours, which I found a pain. And in this new version it is permanently summer, there are no such options and whilst I recognise this is claimed to be so in order to reduce download time it seems to me that to gain some extra reality you are losing one heck of a lot.

All according to taste, I guess.

John