Gliding in FSX & FS9

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Gliding in FSX & FS9

Post by petermcleland »

Swanoir...You just could not be disappointed with Emma Field...It is a wonderful addon that runs perfectly in FS2004. I'm quite certain it was updated for FS2004...in fact I see that my download is called "EMMA_2004_100.zip" and is dated 12/05/2004. Of course, at that time I bought it from LAGO when it was managed by Mathis Kok and originally it was a LAGO product for FS2002 and I ran it in that as well. It's scenery quality has never been excelled in FS2004 and it contains a lot of work by Richard Goldstein :flying:

If you get it for your birthday then let me know and I will let you know where to find some special sights that most Emma Field owners never get to :dancer:

Tomb
Comet
Comet

Post by Tomb »

that brings back a few memories for a former member of the RAF G.S.A (gliding,sex and alcohol, not always enjoyed in that order, but usualy were :drinkers: )

launch to 400ft on portmoak ridge climbing in ridge lift to over 22000ft in wave lift in a Drat-17R, nothing i have flown since has ever topped that flight me-thinks., as we used to say plastic is spas£$%, wood is good. everyone of my badge flights was done in wood, first solo was a T21, first power was a chippie.

flew plastic in comps a few times, i was one of the few who liked the "plastic pig" (short nose Astir)

233SQN
Viscount
Viscount

Post by 233SQN »

I can't remember where I saw it.... but someone is about to release a Grob Vigilant (payware i think) which is of course the modern day Air
Cadet GIC mount.....
Thanks

Colin Bear

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Swanoir »

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll be definitely sticking Emma Field on the list.

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris558 »

Well, I've just been checking out this Emma Field - never heard of it before :worried:

After reading the reviews, it sounds amazing! I'm gonna give it a go...Excellent scenery, animated activities on the ground, including a chap who marshalls you in, birds flying (and singing) AI aircraft that fly circuits (so you don't have to program them in yourself) and the ability to get winched up in a glider!! :o

I wonder why it's fictional? Might have been nice to base it on a real site, but then again not knowing the area, who cares! :)

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

I know the old T21 could buffet your eyeballs a bit, but a beard Peter? It must have been a bit nippy that year :lol: :lol:
Has anyone got Rick's T21 to work in FSX, she would be great to use with an aero tow, something we did not have at 623 GS at Tangmere!
ATB Trev

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Trev

just set engine type to =0 in the aircraft.cfg

it's currently a jet to make the VET guage function for launching.

Rick

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

calypsos wrote:I know the old T21 could buffet your eyeballs a bit, but a beard Peter? It must have been a bit nippy that year :lol: :lol:
Well Trev...although that pic is the T21, we did all our real instructing in the rear seat of a Cadet T31...Now that IS a really draughty place :flying:

You can see the instructors are all pretty well muffled up (I seem to be carrying my coat!)...The picture was taken at RAF Bovingdon in about 1969 :)

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Thanks for all the replies to this, and the wealth of links...extremely useful stuff. I'm going to re-acquaint myself with the Sedbergh which I flew in real life at Swanton Morley ( but with an enclosed cockpit ) and find myself some newer ones for FSX. Once I have my new system, with some good scenery add-ons and TrackIR, its going to quite something.

Beard's unlikely though.

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Peter !!!

You did the "make a cadet puke" flights to? My Father was an instructor at Cerney in the late 50s and early 60s
(Which is where I learned the expression "ZedBARGE" also I spent many happy hours riding back and forth with
the tow cable retrieval lorry -- A big Old Austin with an open turret hatch on it (Yes Dad let my brother and I stand up with
our heads out of the cupola!!) He was also very active at Nymphsfield -- he flew the Skylark3 (Then the height
of English 15m Soaring) Somewhere my mother has a photo of him very similar to yours (Sans beard) at Cerney with
a group of young thugs crowding around asking questions. By the way my oldest brother returned to Cerney in the mid 60s
as an Officer Cadet at the begining of his RAF career.

Leif

Sorry Paul didn't mean to hijack the thread (again)