So This is One Reason I Don't Often Go Payware

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Re: So This is One Reason I Don't Often Go Payware

Post by cstorey »

To maintain +1 g in inverted flight requires one actually to pull 2g, and thus one is in fact executing part of a loop and doesn't remain inverted for long!

I had the pleasure of meeting Miss Shilling in the early 1970s , when she was consulted whilst in retirement about airflow difficulties in installation of the Olympus in HMS Coventry and, I think, HMS Sheffield . She was a formidable character , and although I would dearly have liked to enquire after her orifice, I did not dare do so

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Love that Chris :lol: :thumbsup:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

Sorry Nigel, I skim read your post and my brain translated "Just Flight" as "Real Air", hence my comments about the later marks of Spitfire. I'm not too familiar with the Just Flight pack, but if you want a decent early war Spitfire you can't do better than the A2A one : http://www.a2asimulations.com/store/solo/spitfire/

You only get one mark and one repaint but it's cheap as chips and a pretty definitive simulation, that coupled with the Real Air later marks pack will give you quite a bit of coverage. I imagine the Just Flight pack is designed as Dave has suggested, with one flight model for all marks in the package, in this case they will have modelled one of the later marks that worked fine under negative G.

I also don't believe Just Flight develop this package, I think it's created by another team and Just Flight just publish it.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

skeating wrote:Actually you should be able to fly inverted in the Mk1 as long as you maintain +1G.
The engine should only cut if you pull negative G (or should that be push?).

Confusing aint it :roll:

I'm sure that our Aerobatic Expert, Peter will straighten me out if I'm wrong :flying: .
Well if you look at the video I posted just now called "Spit in the Snow", you will see that on both the slow rolls the engine cuts very firmly but if you look at the series of rolls strung together away from the field immediately prior to the landing approach, you will see that the engine does not hesitate...This was because I maintained a very slight back pressure on the stick throughout that string of rolls. Naturally on the loops the engine keeps going but on the figure of eight rollouts the engine can protest a bit if you check forward too much before making the half roll. Of course you need the sound turned well up in volume to hear what the engine is doing :flying:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Chris..

Yep.. I think the JF pack is the collection done by Aeroplane Heaven. It certainly looks like it ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Well, I really do not know what happened last night but posted a reply and got thrown out of the Forum....thought for a minute you guys had had enough of me!! :worried:

OK, so here is a re-post of my missing post!!

Please don't laugh but when you guys wrote about Miss Shillings 'orifice I just didn't know what to think!! :$ But, with a little help from WKpedia (I know, I could have asked here but....) I now know what you all meant!! :lol:

Concerning inverted flight with the MK1A please correct me if I am wrong but this aircraft saw active service during the 'Battle of Britain' Miss Shillings device did not become available until afterwards and all Spitefires by 1941 were equipped however, this device only gave allowed the Spit to fly inverted for a short time, the one downloaded via Just Flight flies inverted for as long as you wish.

Again, this is not meant to be a criticism, just a passing comment regarding realism on aircraft in comparison to Free-ware.
Sorry Nigel, I skim read your post and my brain translated "Just Flight" as "Real Air",
No probs Chris, will certainly have a look at the one you suggested so many thanks for the link.

Also thnaks to Peter for his explanation regarding rolls with the Spit and once again for his advice on altering the cfg.

Regards
Nigel.
Last edited by Nigel H-J on 27 Jan 2009, 12:05, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

DaveB wrote:Chris..

Yep.. I think the JF pack is the collection done by Aeroplane Heaven. It certainly looks like it ;-)
I only downloaded the free Demo Spit1a and that certainly is the Aeroplane Heaven one because in the Aircraft.cfg it says:-

ui_manufacturer=Supermarine_Aeroplane_Heaven
ui_type=Spitfire Mk1A
ui_variation=RAF DWE (PCPilot)

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Just had a look on the Link that Chris supplied and it is a much better looking Spit, the windshield gives correct dimension whereas the JF version is completely wrong.

No, I will not say any more as I am not qualified to do so!! :-#

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Post by Jon.M »

If you can find a copy of this it's even better value.

http://www.a2asimulations.com/store/wwiifighters/

I got my copy for €9.98. :dancer:

Not only the best early Spitfire IMO but also an excellent Bf109E, a razorback Thunderbolt, a Mustang and a Zero. Only one version and paint of each mind.

Although it says that they for FS9 and FSX on the box this is a bit of an exageration. However there are free patches available from the Shockwave website for the Spit, 109 and P47 that DO make them properly FSX native.

Jon

PushinPolys
Meteor
Meteor

Post by PushinPolys »

Nigel H-J wrote: Again, this is not meant to be a criticism, just a passing comment regarding realism on aircraft in comparison to Free-ware.

[Nigel.
Bit of a broad statement I think. It suggests that freeware get it correct where as pay ware does not. I believe it is down to the modeller/author/FDE chappie that makes the difference regardless of free or pay. There are some very very good pay wear out there and again some are pants - the same can be said for freeware. I know the argument that if there are mistakes in freeware it has not cost you anything and to a certain extent I agree. But one thing you must remember is that most (not all) free ware projects use what in effect was pay ware gauges, effects and also FDE's that where originally developed for a pay ware product. Yes you have the right to complain if you think that the product is "not fit for purpose" and no right to complain for freeware - just an opinion - but most commercial designers I know of do try and get it as close as possible. To cast all pay ware in the same category is a mistake - to expect all freeware to be of the same standard is also a mistake :fart:
I'll get me coat -------------------- :bandit: