Looks like MSFS is truely dead as we see it...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Looks like MSFS is truely dead as we see it...

Post by Paul K »

I think what is really interesting in all of this, is the almost palpable sense of relief that nothing new is coming ( at least in the foreseeable future ). Its curious that while on one hand there is anxiety at the perceived prospect of MSFS' demise, there is an equal optimism that the current incarnation of MSFS can be developed to its full without the prospect of FS11 making everything incompatible again 12 months down the line.

We have two established,stable and well-supported flight sims...FS9 and 10. I'd be far more worried if Captain Sim, Iris, PMDG, Sky Sim, Plane Design and the CBFS Gurus said they were dropping out !

Heres to a bright future, ladies and gents. CHEERS

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

I hope this new ´stability´might encourage our freeware developers around the world to upgrade some great FS9`projects to be fully FSX SP2 compatable.
ATB Trev

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

calypsos wrote:I hope this new ´stability´might encourage our freeware developers around the world to upgrade some great FS9`projects to be fully FSX SP2 compatable.
Indeed Trev, I can think of quite a few I'd like to see upgraded. Lets hope it happens.

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

same here, especially as its been 3 years since FSX's release...

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

According to PC Advisor this month, MS have promised that all hardware and software that's compatible with Vista will be compatible with Windows 7 (due out in about a year). So that's a few more years that a MS OS will be able to run either (or both) current FSs. :)

I consider myself quite lucky in that my FS interest is in flying classic jetliners - currently all of which are built for FS9. Scenery is unimportant to me as I'm either well above it or too involved in flying an approach to see it. I've tried my area of simming in FSX but it wasn't as good. There's nothing I can do about future versions of FS and for me they are actually irrelevant. If a future sim offers a better classic jetliner experience than FS9 then I'll use it. If it doesn't, I'll stick with FS9. But please note, I'm only being smug about my personal taste and definitely not making suggestions for anybody else :lol:

Ian

forthbridge
Concorde
Concorde

Post by forthbridge »

Well, let's see what happens. I'll just be gald when I can really crank up all the sliders in FS9!!! :flying:
Jim

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I think what is really interesting in all of this, is the almost palpable sense of relief that nothing new is coming
I'm with Paul on this one. As every time MS does release a new sim it nearly always means having to fork out for more on updated hard-ware to get the best out of it. True to say that my system may be able to run FSX on what I have but no doubt to run it fully may require another Graphic Card or something else whereas with FS9 I can run it with all the sliders full across with reasonable frame rates.

Now I can relax knowing that I don't have to rush out anytime in the future to keep up with the Jones's. :roll: :lol:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

As every time MS does release a new sim it nearly always means having to fork out for more on updated hard-ware to get the best out of it.
This is how every other game works.... surely this is called progress? :dunno:

If MS were to release new sims that didn't require updated hardware then we'd end up with sims that look absolutely horrible. I find FS2004 hard enough to go back to, let alone stepping back to FS2002 or FS98.

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

This quote is taken from the fsinsider.com
We will continue to produce, sell, and support the latest version of Flight Simulator as we plan for future versions of the franchise.

You can lay into it what you decide, but the way I read it, FS is NOT dead, just kept in coma for the time being ....
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

DanKH wrote:This quote is taken from the fsinsider.com
We will continue to produce, sell, and support the latest version of Flight Simulator as we plan for future versions of the franchise.

You can lay into it what you decide, but the way I read it, FS is NOT dead, just kept in coma for the time being ....
Exactly. People seem to be assuming that just because the ACES team are gone that FS is dead. The franchise is obviously far from dead as it makes MS money, and hopefully some new developers may also be a much needed shot in the arm and will bring some new ideas to FS.

Developers and development teams come and go from projects all of the time and franchises continue without a hitch.