RAF A330

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Re: RAF A330

Post by J0hn »

Hi James :hello:

well I can say for sure that the one in my FSX installation has RR engines! :agree:

I was just reading an article in an aviation mag about the fact that the yanks might buy this aircraft, too - rather than the Boeing (767?) tanker.

I actually have serious doubts about that - but it's good that they're in the running, at least.

JD

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

The Airbus was chosen over the Boeing 767 some time ago

There was a big fuss made and the decision has been revoked and it looks more likely it wil be 767's now.
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Well.. as close as this year, EADS were again entering a bid for what the Yanks thought they wanted so all is not as dead as it was. It seems unlikely that Hank will/would ever order anything not U.S. built even though the U.S. version would be built in the U.S. but time will tell :)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

DaveB wrote:Well.. as close as this year, EADS were again entering a bid for what the Yanks thought they wanted so all is not as dead as it was. It seems unlikely that Hank will/would ever order anything not U.S. built even though the U.S. version would be built in the U.S. but time will tell :)
Close Dave, but EADS submitted a bid for what EADS thinks we "need", not what the request asked for, despite being told that this time they wouldn't receive "bonus" consideration for exceeding the requirements they exceeded in the first one that gave them the "win". EADS should have submitted the A300 Tanker and they probably would have won anyway, but since they decided to submit the A330 again despite it being almost 50% larger than the specs call for, it's unlikely they'll win.

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

The only problem with the A300 tanker is that it would be built from existing airframes and the USAF wants brand new aircraft IIRC.
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Chris :hello:

I guess it makes sense for them to submit a design already accepted by other air forces even though it exceeds the original remit as it would require only minor tweaks here and there to suit the individual nation/customer :) A 'wise one' who frequents this very forum has said that the RAF have no idea what they're getting.. such is the aircrafts massive potential over what we currently use ;) That said, we are not in the same situation as the U.S. so are more likely to take what's on offer if the price is right :cpu:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

At least Tonks will get free training on a popular model if he ever wants to become a civvy Captain :)
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think that by the time Tonks retires from the RAF, he'll be too old to fly in civvie street mate and there are other things to consider. Having spent years as a Captain, he'd have to go back to being second fiddle with not enough years available to become a line Captain again and I honestly don't think he'd want that. Much better to nip down to Oxford in the motor a few days a week instructing in a Piper or something of that ilk. A nice bit of pin money and home every night ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Tonks
The Ministry

Post by Tonks »

HA ha ha... that's my career sorted! I have done 4 hours in the sim and it is an amazing ac, but I will certainly miss the 10! Still, hope to fly the old girl for a few months yet!

Tonks :)
It's NOT real!!!!!

Ant1981
Victor
Victor

Post by Ant1981 »

Tonks wrote:HA ha ha... that's my career sorted! I have done 4 hours in the sim and it is an amazing ac, but I will certainly miss the 10! Still, hope to fly the old girl for a few months yet!

Tonks :)
You're a VC10 pilot? I'd love a flight on one of those. I wonder if you might be able to get me on board? 0:)
I like this flight simming, it's fun.....