Re: New Graphic Card Also!!

Post by DaveG »

I would. Best to be on the safe side. :cpu:
Dave G.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Cheers Dave :thumbsup: Right then.. here goes :worried: Back soon.. I hope :cpu:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I'm giving up doing stuff I think.

I put the new card in.. easier than getting the 8800GTX out as it's smaller :-O Turned the pc on and all looked well.. windows loaded.. went to load the drivers and my dvd drive draw wouldn't open. When I got it open, it refused to read 8) Dragged an old IDE drive out of this pc and put it in and it refuses to work. Put it back in here and it works :lol: The duff drive in the new pc is SATA so I guess I'll have to order a new one. Can't understand why the darned thing wouldn't even open. Wonder if I've a string of molex connectors duff coming from the Corsair PSU. I hope not :S

I'll report back when the new drive arrives ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Dave, avoids the drivers on the cd and go to www.nvidia.co.uk and download from there ;)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

I wouldn't bother with safe mode, Dave. Fitting it should be a piece of cake, only one screw, and the software will do the rest. With my old XP system, I was constantly experimenting with replacement sound and video cards, to the extent that I ran the box with the cover off most of the time. The new unit is still under warranty, and there's been no need to poke around yet.
SORRY DAVE, DIDN'T NOTICE WE WERE ON TO PAGE 2, AND YOU'VE ALREADY DONE IT

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well.. I've already done it but I'm still not on that pc. However, the new psu I bought for the XP3200 worked so I'm on that now instead of the XP2400 so I HAVE moved up a bit. :lol:

Ben.. thanks for the recommend. Garry suggested it earlier and I have to admit, the download wasn't something I'd considered. A bit late to start farting around now but I'll take a look tomorrow ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

You'll get offers to update your drivers direct from nvidia. I've updated twice since installing; the latest was yesterday. V285.62 for W7.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Well.. it's in and now I have the drivers for it, it's running. FS9 looks ok which is the important thing ;) Downloaded as advised.. latest for WinXP is 285.58. Seems to work ok thus far so I can put the XP2400 back into a well earned retirement again :lol:

Oh.. does anyone know how big that Batman game is?? I got a download voucher with the card but fear I may need 20mb broadband to get it *-)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Chaps..

One more thing.. since having the new card in, explorer windows open up as little tiddly things I have to either drag so I can read the page or 'maximise'. I always thought windows remembered page sizes but this isn't happening. Can anyone let me know how to stop this happening.. if at all it can be stopped. I've looked at all the settings I can find but have found nothing useful :(

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

:hello:
Dave, Windows XP has a bug. If explorer does not remember the size or position of a folder window when you reopen it you may have this bug. This problem occurs because Windows stores each folder's view settings and customizations in the registry. By default, this data is limited to 200 local folders and 200 network folders, for a total of 400 folders. Let me know if that is the case because there is a registry edit you can do to fix it or you can try the Microsoft automatic fix at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813711

Nigel²