Sounds missing in Trident

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: Sounds missing in Trident

Post by Garry Russell »

Sort of ties in with my thinking Dave...not where it's pointing to *-)
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hello Mate..

Yes.. it was bang on. DM's alternate files show all the correct values (including the smoke entries in the aircraft.cfg.. it's setup for FS9 but he added the FSX ones remmed out too) so.. if you put them where they should go.. it'll work :) It was a good exercise for me to do it 'cold' myself to give me an idea of any potential pitfalls for a DM newbie ;)

EDIT: I've looked at Dave Evans files and they're from 2006 which predates the current version by some 3 years. I'd not be inclined to use them with the latest DM model.. perhaps take the camera views and add those to the current cfg ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Viscount Cornbank
The Gurus

Post by Viscount Cornbank »

I have yet to find a way to make the sounds using Doug Dawsons sound gauge work in FSX. It's nothing to do with the path pointer, I suspect the gauge just isn't FSX compatible in its FS9 written format.

Cheers

Fraser

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Fraser :hello:

In my case, it was just the path pointer :) All the sounds I used to hear in FS9 now work in the T3 in FSX. The dsd gauge (v3) that DM uses with the Tridents is a year older than the version you use too mate. I don't know if it would make any difference but DM's stays in the panel folder in FSX rather than the gauge folder. I guess this could be changed by linking mind you ;) Perhaps the dsd gauge is just an odd one like FSSound.dll.. earlier versions of which work on some systems and older versions work on others though gad knows why :dunno:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I've used the dsd sound gauge with my FSX Auster without problems, but I can't remember which version it was off the top of my head.
Dave G.

eskil
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by eskil »

Gentlemen!
Everything now sorted, thanks to your kind suggestions. I followed the time-proven maxim of erasing everything, then made a fresh install but without those dubious Evans files. And lo and behold, the sounds are there both at take-off and at (auto)landing. They are perhaps a little weak (drowned in the noise from those formidable Spey engines), but I might be able to tweak that later tonight. Still can't say if it was caused by the extra files, or if some of the bona fide files had ended up in the wrong place...

Cheers,
eskil

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Nice one

The weakness might just be your sound settings where you balance the envoirenment and engine sounds etc.

Whatever...you have them and that's what matters :thumbsup:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Thanks for that eskil :rock:

I too find that the cockpit sounds tend to be a 'little' weak against the overpowering Speys but you'll probably find you'll be waiting for them with practice so it won't be a problem. I'm using different speakers at the moment too so hopefully.. normal service will be resumed when I've found my 'proper' set (which I seem to remember putting in the loft last week)! :wall: :lol:

As I mentioned above.. you can probably use the FSX camera views section from Dave Evans files. I added them yesterday but have yet to see what effect they have. Will report back ;)

DG.. the dsd gauge you used with the Auster is (I think) 21/8/2007.. the one Fraser used is 12/8/2007 and the one with DM's Trident is 29/5/2006 :-O Just how many versions are flying around?? :lol:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Doug has done some new gauges specifically for FSX, but im sure the last version of the FS9 one was largely compatible with fsx
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Those camera views I took from the Dave Evans file seem to work ok. To be honest, I didn't check what happened before I added them but there are no camera views on DM's file so adding them won't do any harm ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage