New RN arrivals

The place to request or publish repaints for Classic British Aircraft. Please note... no FICTIONAL livery requests!

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry, The Painters

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: New RN arrivals

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

Think of paint 'maps' on a model as the skin taken off and made flat. On this particular model.. map4 contains all the parts you see in yellow and all the parts you see in grey are on other maps (dds bitmaps) taken from the grey paint to temporarily fill the holes in :) A gloss finish on this would look smashing..not too glossy but more than it is at the moment. Not sure if anything can be done about this though as the degree of shine is set in the model and the corresponding specular.dds maps that go with it. I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel.. just do a cheap 'knock off' :lol: The same can be said for the EC130 paints. The model and maps reflect an uber shiny 'civvie' helicopter and while the VIP fits this well.. the RN grey is too shiny.. but ok at a distance :)

On the first 'yellow' version I did.. I took the yellow from the Virtavia RAF paint which, with how the Virtavia model is setup, looks fine on that. On the UH60.. the same colour looked like it had been taken from one of Graham Norton's shirts! :lol: The colour above was taken off one of the many RAF rescue Sea King pictures I downloaded last night from an area which appeared to be in natural light (not in shade or direct sunlight) and looks a whole pile better believe me :lol: I tried to search for the correct RGB of the yellow and the best I came up with was from a model paint supplier which had a touch too much red in it and Simmers Paintshop (which also gives RGB's) only had training/research yellow *-)

Notwithstanding the fact I can't put the wording where I want it to go without it either covering or being covered by aircraft part labels (open here, don't touch this e t c).. I think this will end up being a lot more 'what if' than it would otherwise have been :( I may have a go at RAE/A&AEE at some point.. if I don't get bored first and move onto something else :)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

rohan
Trident
Trident

Post by rohan »

Dave,
thanks for the explanation. I had understood that there could only be one texture mapping for any given model, so was a little confused when you seemed to be talking about more than one. If the degree of shine on FSX / P3D models depends so much on it, perhaps it's time I found out more about specular mapping ... I think it was jeansy who did an alternate specular map for the ND Hind just after it was released. May be I should compare his with the original - oh, drat, I haven't bought that Hind (yet).

I have two favourite colour schemes for aircraft; a BOAC VC-10 (later scheme) and the raspberry ripple, and RAF rescue yellow ...

I have three favourite colour schemes for aircraft; a BOAC VC-10 (later scheme), the raspberry ripple and RAF rescue yellow, and the Swedish Viggen mottled camo ...

I have four favourite colour schemes for aircraft; a BOAC VC-10 (later scheme), the raspberry ripple, RAF rescue yellow and the Swedish Viggen mottled camo ...

" Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition ... "

Seriously, I've always loved raspberry ripple since I first saw it at Farnborough in the early 60s, but have found that it suits smaller aircraft better than large ones. It looks great on Phantoms, Hawks and helos, not so good on a 1-11 (a bit overpowering). I'd love to see it on an MH-53, but the size factor may spoil it ... and again I'd love to see an MH-53 in RAF and / or RN rescue colours. Somehow I think yellow would suit it down to the ground.

Anyway, PLEASE don't get bored with the UH-60 RAF scheme - it would be worth buying that model just to fly your repaint ...

Best regs,
Ro
;)

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I did some similar for the Nemeth SA-2 a while back. Mapping on that was a sod :lol:

I've got the Virtavia / Alphasim MH-53. May have a look at the paintkit... *-)
Dave G.

rohan
Trident
Trident

Post by rohan »

Dave,
it may have been hard work but the end results are brilliant - I have all your Samson paints in my collection, though again I would have preferred the RAF rescue one to be a bit more yellow and glossy.

I also bought the Alpha MH-53 when it was released, so if you do do any repaints you have a hungry customer waiting here,
regs,
Ro
:welldone:

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Yeah, it's a bit orange-y :lol: The paintkit has most of the shading on a dark grey base layer which you have to paint over. That makes it really hard to get good colours without loosing the shading. I may have to re-visit that one at some point.

Just downloaded the MH53 paintkit, so we'll see how it looks in yellow :lol:

Sorry to hijack your thread Dave :$ :worried:
Dave G.

rohan
Trident
Trident

Post by rohan »

DaveG wrote:... The paintkit has most of the shading on a dark grey base layer which you have to paint over...
As I said, I'm no repainter, so could you guess why that was the case ? And couldn't that base colour be changed (or are some of the layers in the paintkit locked in some way, or perhaps that one isn't even layered) ?

Anyway, look forward to hearing and / or seeing your results,
ATB
Ro
:rock:

... and I should apologise to DaveB as well since most of my input has been about RAF repaints ... sorry, mate

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Argh! my eyes! :lol:

Now that's a complicated paint kit. All the different external maps (7 in total) are combined into one PSD file with 231 different layers :-O
Dave G.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

... Next...
:lol:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

rohan
Trident
Trident

Post by rohan »

... Indeed ...

Oh, wow, that looks great, though it looks as if the rear fuselage in particular has a blotchy, almost camouflage appearance. It may just be an artifact of the screenshot, but maybe there's a layer (or three) that needs to be turned off ? ? ?

Even so, if you decide to continue and finish it, I'd be more than happy to grab a copy ...

Thank you muchly for taking the time to look into that idea,
Regs,
Ro
:cheers:

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I just threw the yellow paint pot at it and didn't fiddle around with the shading & dirt. Just wanted a rough idea of how it was going to look before spending a lot of time on it. Somehow I don't think it will be progressing any further. :lol:
Dave G.