TSR2 test pilots query.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: TSR2 test pilots query.

Post by Paul K »

Hi Keith - according to Wiki:

For high-speed testing, the flying tail of the M.52 was fitted to the fastest aircraft then available, a Supermarine Spitfire. RAE test pilot Eric Brown stated that he tested this aircraft successfully during October and November 1944; on one such flight, he managed to attain a recorded speed of Mach 0.86 during a dive from high altitude.[6] The flying tail was also fitted to the "Gillette Falcon", which proceeded to conduct a series of low speed flight tests at the RAE in April 1945.

Archer
VC10
VC10

Post by Archer »

The story of the 'all flying tail' having been 'stolen' by the US is in itself a bit of an urban myth. I don't know the exact details but I think it was 'Winkle' Brown who got that story started and it has bounced around the internet for so long and so many times since that it is often quoted as the honest truth. The stabilator or all flying tail goes back to WWI. You would have to look at some recent publications about the X-1 project but IIRC the story of how they came to use the trim as a pitch control actually goes back to the start of the project, before the Miles M.52 data became available. Sorry, I cannot substantiate this but I will keep an eye out for some relevant articles.
Due to shortages and cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
------------
A Little VC10derness - http://www.VC10.net - Visit the Forum!

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Yes, the M.52 data going to the US, and Bell subsequently employing a flying tail on the X-1, doesn't necessarily prove a link between the two. As I say, aeronautical research in every country looks at the same problems all the time, and it's inevitable that the same ideas and solutions will be reached independently. But try telling the arsehole Yeager that too.