Payware........what should I buy?

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Not my words again, but PMDG is working on a MD11 that might be worth looking at, if your into these things ...
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

calypsos wrote:What about Ed's Spit?
In a word, superb!!:clap:

AndyG

hinch
VC10
VC10

Post by hinch »

AndyG wrote:
calypsos wrote:What about Ed's Spit?
In a word, superb!!:clap:

AndyG
it's weird, on some boards people say buy the plane design spitfire, on others they say it's nothing compared to the realair - thus why i decided neither and i'm going for the owl!

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

I have had the realair Spit for ages and cannot see it being bettered. That Owl is on a par with it. I am tempted with the recently released Me262 at present, anybody got it?
http://secure.simmarket.com/product_inf ... ts_id=1945
ATB Trev

mgchristy
Trident
Trident

Post by mgchristy »

I am tempted with the recently released Me262 at present, anybody got it?
Got it. It's a decent looking model and flys well enough...but there really isn't a whole lot of functionality in the systems. It's definitely a 'Crtl+E' type of plane.

- Mark

hinch
VC10
VC10

Post by hinch »

i reviewed flight replica's me-262 for flightsim.com...no, tis still not up.

it looks brilliant and is fun to fly, but yes it is a basic add-on and requires quite some graphics oomph to get anything from it.

a piccy: http://i17.tinypic.com/2d2jb5d.jpg

Ed Walters
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Ed Walters »

hinch wrote:
it's weird, on some boards people say buy the plane design spitfire, on others they say it's nothing compared to the realair - thus why i decided neither and i'm going for the owl!
I have to say I think some of this is due to the perception that the RealAir Spitfire perfectly captured the Spitfire's handling, and so if a new model doesn't agree with RealAir, it must be wrong.

The handling on the PD Spit is tricky - I would be the first to acknowledge that. I was surprised at how tricky it was compared to my expectations. The reason for the trickiness is simply that we spoke to current very experienced Spitfire pilots who gave us feedback, and the original "conventional" flight model was way too easy, according to them.

We were told that the torque etc on takeoff, the adverse yaw due to the ailerons in turns, etc, are all the things that remind you that you're flying a 1600hp fighter like a Spitfire, not a 145hp trainer like a DHC Chipmunk!

So it certainly isn't easy to fly - there are other models out there that are easier, but we set ourselves the goal of top drawer realism, and we felt the best way to do that was test with pilots who are trained test pilots with experience on Spitfires. We did that, and the tricky model we ended up with was the result.

That's not to say it's incredibly difficult to fly - it just requires that you keep on top of it. For example if you start making big adjustments to your pitch on approach, you'll find that the nose yaws, because of the gyroscopic precession. This can be countered with the rudder, but you have to be ready to catch it.