Anyone boaters in?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

DispatchDragon wrote:Be fun trying to ski behind that Paul :)

Leif
Indeed! The floating ice would jar your ankles a bit too. :lol:

Reheat
Victor
Victor

Post by Reheat »

DispatchDragon wrote:Be fun trying to ski behind that Paul :)

Alex - Ive often wondered about the offshore boats - but they use so much fuel - my little bugger had a 28 gall tank and that would be half a days skiing if I was lucky

Leif
Just this weekend I've had mine checked out, she'll do 4mpg when cruising.

Me and my friends prefer wakeboarding over skiing, which is a very un-economical sport. Ideal speed out on the sea (no luxury of a lake around here) is around 16 - 20kts, which normally leaves the bow off plane until she's trimmed properly.

At best we get 2 hours out of a tank of fuel.

These days with so much traffic on the road, even on rural B roads, the only way you can get out and have a totally uninterupted hack about at constant full throttle is to go out in a boat.

I've driven quite a few high performance cars, and flown a few (rather less high performance) aerobatic aircraft, but nothing comes close to turning hard into a corner at full throttle on a totally flat calm and coming out the other side soaking wet :dance:

....unless my girlfriend is in the boat...then apparently 10kts is quite enough! :-#

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

We used to have a couple of clinker-built Mahogany dinghies of about 12" length with countersterns for fishing in the Channel. We had first a small Seagull outboard and then a 4, count them 4 :lol: horse power Mariner engine :lol:

Steve M
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Steve M »

Did a trip on one of the Arianta's sisters in 1981. SS Alinda. I think my trip was a bit warmer down the West African Coast then the NL Antilles.
Never tried skiing behind her though. Crew weren't too hot on painting topsides either. She was run up the beach and broken up in India at the end of her days
Steve M
:sad:

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Looks a bit like a T2 tanker.
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

Steve M
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Steve M »

Similar looks but later. Built in 1959 for Eagle Oilas San Ernesto then became Alinda under Shell.
Steve M

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Steve M wrote:Did a trip on one of the Arianta's sisters in 1981. SS Alinda. I think my trip was a bit warmer down the West African Coast then the NL Antilles.
Never tried skiing behind her though. Crew weren't too hot on painting topsides either. She was run up the beach and broken up in India at the end of her days
Steve M
:sad:
Steve M...I did the Acavus round West Africa, up the Congo river to Ango-Ango, then up to Rotterdam where the 4/E dropped an evaporator condenser cover on me leg. Shell treated me royally..had a Mercedes drive me to the hotel, thence to the airport, two KLM personnel to handle my baggage and push me round Schipol in a wheel chair...flew home to Norwich airport with KLM, and would you believe there was a taxi waiting for me, all paid for ..and all this on a Sunday too. :smile:

So whats your story with Joe Shell ? :lol:

Steve M
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Steve M »

Paul
Joined in 79 as a Deck Cadet leaving in 83 with a 2nd mates ticket having been made redundant due to the shrinking fleet. Last trip was Naticina just after she lost her lightning boom. We did Ango Ango in the Alinda before heading for Curacao. Started life on the Methane Progress and served on a total of 6 joe boats.

Steve M

Steve M
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Steve M »

The longest trip on the longest ship was this beast Lima. All 318,000 DWT of her.3 months to get from Kharg Island to Lyme Bay then waited a month looking at land till someone bought the cargo for Europort.
Steve M