Treescapes UK

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Treescapes UK

Post by DaveB »

Well mate.. it's all relative I guess. Orbx scenery isn't a single quick fix as the much praised Australia scenery is in 4 parts which work out at £17.39 (no idea if this is vat inclusive). However, considering the size of Australia, you're probably getting the whole of the UK size-wise (not just England and Wales) for the cost of one set of trees and excluding GenX to sit underneath! You also only need around 2gb of disc space per part rather than the abomination that is GenX. Consider how much GenX costs for all 4 currently available parts and for this, you get no mainland Scotland or Northern Ireland and zero trees unless you drag the old FS9 set in kicking, screaming and slowing your system down to a stop! It's a pretty ludicrous situation we find ourselves in isn't it 8)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Ker-ding :)

Well me hearties.. it does seem to do what it says on the tin (even though I could've done without losing an arm and a leg to see it). The shot below is with autogen on Normal. It doesn't show the effect very well but I snapped this to see if someone here might recognise the area..

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Tree-medous Dave :thumbsup:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

View at EGNT

The darker trees are from UK2000 VFR Airfields Volume 3 beta.
George

Darren
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Darren »

Hi
I now have trees and the FR's are still OK at 'Normal'. TBH.. I don't like the install routine. For one, it doesn't actually install anything (or didn't for me).
There is a very good reason for this that is explained in the manual.pdf ( which you are asked to read first btw). The reason being that a great many users already have a certain amount of autogen files on their system, either ones they've downloaded from other users, or even have spent many hours creating themselves in the SDK Annotator tool. I'm sure we'd be seriously critisized if we just carried on and installed the treescape files to the users system overwriting all the files they'd spent so much time creating or collecting themselves.
it's all relative I guess. Orbx scenery isn't a single quick fix as the much praised Australia scenery is in 4 parts which work out at £17.39 (no idea if this is vat inclusive). However, considering the size of Australia, you're probably getting the whole of the UK size-wise (not just England and Wales) for the cost of one set of trees and excluding GenX to sit underneath!
The above quote from DaveB shows a clear lack of understanding on the differences between generic "Landclass" scenery such as Orbx, and photographic scenery with custom autogen. The two are just not the same beast at all. A landclass scenery is nothing more than a a very rough representation of an area, you won't find anything in it that truely reflects what exists in reality. Not only that but even the best landclass scenery will repeat at very regular intervals. If you are using ORBX and look down in flightsim to see a farm next to a small wood for instance, there are two things you should understand about what you are looking at. Firstly and most importantly for anyone that takes VFR flying with any seriousness is that the farm and wood don't really exist in reality at that location. Secondly is that you will only have to fly a few miles before you'll spot the same farm and wood in a completely different location. Because landclass tiles repeat... repeatedly. ZZzzzz

Compare the above situation to a combination of Generation X and treescapes UK . You can fly over 151,174 km2 of truly realistic scenery without once seeing the same thing twice, When you look down from your cockpit you'll know that the farm and woodland you see below you truly exist in real life.

Treescapes UK is a big advance in realism for UK flightsimmers that we have been striving to achieve as a whole community since 2004 without managing to cover even 5-10% of the area , and TBH I'm really quite suprised to be reading so many negative sounding comments being said about Treescapes UK here, where I know there to be plenty of knowlegible people well aware of the products value.

Kindest regards
Darren

Fodda
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Fodda »

Yeah! See Dave! That's told ya... If only you'd spent more time with FS over the years you'd understand all that...
:-# :-# :hide: :hide: :-O :cheers:

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Darren,

I don't have the product because I don't use or like UK VFR scenery...However, I am very impressed with the pictures I see here on this thread and I would certainly be buying the product if I were using VFR scenery, so the thread in my opinion is a good advert for the product.

I use UK2000 scenery all over the UK and I assume that Treescapes UK would do absolutely nothing for my scenery?

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Darren and welcome to our humble abode :)
The above quote from DaveB shows a clear lack of understanding on the differences between generic "Landclass" scenery such as Orbx, and photographic scenery with custom autogen.
Strictly speaking, that's not true mate. What it shows is a clear lack of understanding of the ORBX product. I've seen the odd screenies of it and I know how much it costs but beside that, I know very little of how it's actually put together. Regardless.. it certainly looks good when pitched against something like GenX and is a fraction of the cost ;)

As for the install routine, your comment is taken as read. I had the pdf up onscreen the whole time and eventually found the small text file which finally tells you what to do with the files installed (not actually installed in the sim but extracted to a file in the ES folder). The use of 'install' is confusing and I know for a fact I'm not the only one who has found it so. :)

I'm glad you've managed to find us here anyway ;)

EDIT..
Sri.. I'd missed this bit:
TBH I'm really quite suprised to be reading so many negative sounding comments being said about Treescapes UK here, where I know there to be plenty of knowlegible people well aware of the products value.
Forgive me Darren but I don't see any negative sounding comments about 'Treescapes'.. that is, the product itself and I've been through the entire thread again. I have Part 1 and am more than happy with it and I'm sure that other users will be equally pleased with what they see. The complaints if one can call them that is the overall cost of getting FSX to look that way (though this is the case with whatever sim you use) and the untidy install routine. You've explained that this is necessary to protect autogen some users may have installed (understood) but what about the cmd box? I waited for over half an hour while it said copying files Part1 Area1 and that's all it ever said. Had my system frozen?? Had the install gone wrong?? No.. it had copied all three areas of part 1 but had omitted to say so. Nor did it state that the process was complete. Little things like this can wind the end user up amigo and unfortunately, I was one such end user.

So.. there you have it :)
ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Peter..

Unless you use FSX and have GenX, this package would be a waste of time I'm afraid. The set of UK2000 trees included are for the FSX versions and help even up the differences between what Gary Summons uses and what ES use making any transition less noticeable ;)

Did you recognise the area under the Auster or did I crop the shot too much? :lol:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

DaveB wrote:Did you recognise the area under the Auster or did I crop the shot too much? :lol:

ATB

DaveB B)smk

*-) Looks like the ground to me Dave 8) :hide:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."