Hey where you guys at? Red Bull has Launched

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Hey where you guys at? Red Bull has Launched

Post by GHD »

TSR2 wrote:Watching him jump from the capsule was incredible,
It got to the part where his feet were out of the door but wouldn't refresh until he was at 6000ft :'(
George

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Vancouver wrote:OK I admire his courage I sure as hell would not step out on that plinth, dammit I get giddy if I stand up too quick, but what is the real value of this stunt. Scientific value? None as far as I can see, it's been done before at slightly less altitude. I did like the ignorance of the commentator when the air started warming up again into the Stratoshpere - "it's because he is getting closer to the Sun". Oh dear.
Sorry if I cannot get all gushy about the stunt, I'm a contrarian.
Does there have to be a measurable value, or definable broader benefit to mankind ? What was Sir Francis Chichester's solo circumnavigation of the Earth worth ? What is gained by a cross-Channel swim ? Why ascend Everest ? Because, as George Mallory famously (and only allegedly) said, 'because it's there'. We are human beings, and doing things just for the sake of it is what we do. ;)

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I understand both viewpoints, in fact, I'm not a big "explore space" fan at all as I think the whole thing is a monumental waste of cash, but just noticed this article on the Beeb tonight...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19945627
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

aeroart
Viscount
Viscount

Post by aeroart »

Amen, Vancouver! I started a thread at CalClassic earlier today asking the same question: knowledge gain or stunt? So far, no replies.

When Joe Kittinger was jumping from high altitudes during his USAF days in the '50s and '60s, the object was to learn what might happen to aircrews punching out of high-flying jets in an emergency. You may also remember Paul Stapp, also a USAF officer, who was the "test pilot" on rocket sleds to study the effects of high-G deceleration in the event of a bailout at high speeds. These two guys were the real heroes.

In my opinion, the only time to jump out of anything is if it's burning or breaking.

Art

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Paul K wrote:(tasteless cartoon)

Oh, that hit the spot, Paul!

Ian Image

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Bah , who needs a parachute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmzpxjAvc-0

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

*yawn* That's pretty good, but... ;)
http://cheezburger.com/6674303488

Brian

gordon-in-aberdeen
Vulcan
Vulcan
Location: Stones' throw from old Montrose Air Station (well, 4 miles anyway:-)

Post by gordon-in-aberdeen »

Vancouver wrote: what is the real value of this stunt. Scientific value?
I think there are some very valuable lessons to be learned from this by the various space agencies round the world, particularly regards high altitude escape scenarios etc. and the design of his suit as a possible lightweight survival suit in such situations. Not a wasted escapade at all I'd say, some very valuable data to be looked at closely :agree:
TTFN, Gordon
"To err is human, but to ARR is most definitely Pirate... "

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Here's what it's all about. The spectacle cost Red Bull about £30 million, which is about a tenth of their annual sports promotion budget. Their turnover is about £3.4 billion a year. The publicity would have been the same for them even if he had been killed. Five Red Bull sponsored sportsmen have died in the past ten years so, win or lose, it is an ideal investment in their extreme sports advertising. I think any idea of scientific experiment would have been an opportunistic afterthought. He's a base jumper turned stuntman. And I'm not belittling what he did. I think it's incredibly brave but he couldn't have done it without the need to sell an energy drink.

Does anybody think that F1 is about car racing? Or football about a team sport? Crikey, nobody goes for a walk or a bike ride any more without sponsorship. Which gives me an idea...

Ian :)