Instant Scenery V2

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Instant Scenery V2

Post by Airspeed »

GHD wrote:I you use SAMM, you still need low-poly aircraft otherwise there will be an fps hit.
Definitely so. Have shopped around for the lowest I could find for each aircraft.

EDIT 11:48pm and time for bed methinks...but I just realised another way to reduce load on fps, I've reduced some 2048x2048x16 million textures to 512x512x256. The 12Mb bmp came down to a few hundred kb, and seeing as it's a fly- by scenery item, I reckon it's good enough. Multiply that saving for two or three textures, and it all helps.
Last edited by Airspeed on 27 Dec 2012, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Brian Franklin wrote:The Wessex rotor has been removed and the model shrunk so Mike should have updated this thread. I think Mickey that if you encourage people to modify other people's models that permission to use them will rapidly be withdrawn.
Sorry, Brian, I posted the update to "Adding static aircraft FSX", didn't want to overdo it by posting here too, but here's the 20th December version, just as you said:

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc3 ... be822b.jpg

Everyone please note that the mods to the Wessex,Freighter and Viscount were all done by the original authors. (I'm frustratingly pedantic about rules)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Thanks for the update Mike ;)

You have to be pedantic really.. especially if you want to publish stuff. I know what we're like here when 'our' stuff appears on sites 'modified' 8) We'll generally give the world away if asked but the 'asking' bit is important ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Brian Franklin
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Brian Franklin »

DaveB wrote:Thanks for the update Mike ;)

You have to be pedantic really.. especially if you want to publish stuff. I know what we're like here when 'our' stuff appears on sites 'modified' 8) We'll generally give the world away if asked but the 'asking' bit is important ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk

You're spot on Dave. Sorry if you think that my reply was 'tetchy' Mickey, but personally I think that once someone goes down the road of changing other peoples work willy nilly sooner or later someone will produce something awful supposedly based on product 'xxxxxx' by developer 'yyyyyyyy' and that will upset people. I must express surprise that you think that it's OK for that sort of thing to happen.

I've absolutely nothing against models, even newer ones being used as scenery objects and have never refused permission. Often changing the model as requested and shrinking the model size to reduce frame hits. As Dave says it's the asking that counts.

Mickey D
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Mickey D »

Not a question of thinking it's OK Brian. People will do it with or without our permisson anyway. But as you say it's nice when they ask. Fortunately 90% of the models that I use as statics are older freeware Alphasim and I have permission from Phil Perrott to use them as I wish in my scenery. For many I have the source files. All the others come with dev permission. :) And for AI I negotiate a royalty when wanted by the dev.
But when it comes to push and shove if they are only used to enhance scenery for own use only we never get to know so why worry. But if I ever I see one in a freeware scenery or worse I'll be down like a ton of bricks.
Mickey D
Team SDB Scenery Bloke

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Mike..

I've taken the first step and downloaded SAMM2. Not sure how many other steps there are going to be though :lol:

Do you use SAMM2 to convert full models to statics then use Instant Scenery to place them or do you use ISv2 for the whole procedure?

I'm sure I had IS once upon a time but it must have been for FS9 as that's the only thing I remember adding scenery to. No idea where it is now mind you and when I tried the same scenery in FSX (again, donkies ago) it didn't like it much :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Mickey D
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Mickey D »

Create with SAMM then add to a library and use ISv2 to place them. You can also place them with ADE9X either from a library or as models from within ADE9X.

BTW SAMM reads the textures from a "named" folder you'll find it within a texture folder where SAMM placed the model. Copy this "named"folder into the texture folder for your scenery.
Mickey D
Team SDB Scenery Bloke

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Cheers MD :thumbsup:

To be honest, I'm more interested in adding static ships to scenery areas rather than aircraft to airports and I'm not sure ADE9x would be any good for that (I have ADE9x but only use it for 'looking' rather than changing) as it requires 'an airport' from memory *-) 'IS' would be the easy way to go but I'm pretty much spent out so I have to take the 'free' route for now :(

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Mickey D
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Mickey D »

Seem to remember Runway 12 will do the same thing. BTW if you still have the Flight1 info you can re-activate ISv2. I did back in November.
Mickey D
Team SDB Scenery Bloke

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I have RWY12 kicking about somewhere but all the license tags for my F1 stuff is a different matter. I'm sure I still have them somewhere but 'where' is the question 8) *-)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage