Dave Maltby's VC10

The place to request or publish repaints for Classic British Aircraft. Please note... no FICTIONAL livery requests!

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry, The Painters

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Yes wasnt "Support Command" brought in around 1968 as an almagmation of Transport Command and Training Command (In a similar way to Fighter Command and Bomber Command becoming "Strike Command")?

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Interesting cars in that first picture

Is that a Vauxhall on the left?

Austin A35 ? van conversion?

Ford Anglia/Popular/Prefect - never did know the difference except the Prefect had the 105E engine instead of the side valve

Wolseley?

Making my brain hurt - help please!

Ian

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I think it's a Vauxhall or perhaps a Standard on the left.

The truck looks like a Karrier

It's when you see the cars it reminds you just how long these things have been arround

I was looking at pic of a Viscount recently with cars in front looking like motorised prams

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Left one looks like a Wyvern some had the chrome strips down the bonnet some didnt but that looks like the Vaux Wyvern on the front

Leif

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I am not good with cars that are a little less common

Still great period shot

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Avant-Garde-Aclue

Post by Avant-Garde-Aclue »

WOW! Tash, she certainly looks the business, excellent stuff.

The cars in the pic are left to right Vauxhall Velox, Austin A35 van with windows, Ford 101 Popular and a Wolesley 1.5 Litre. in the second pic the fire tender is a Ford Thames Trader, oh how sad, showing my age.

Best Regards

Sean

VC10ace
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by VC10ace »

oops yes quite right about RAF air transport command, quite forgot about them!

I spotted a Commer Karrier in the pics there somewhere. Most members of my family wither worked AT Brooklands , Wisley or on VC10 design for Vickers! We have SKYDROL in our blood - born and bred Vicky 10 nuts.

I have priveliged access to superb aerial photos of Heathrow right back from its beginnings. When its quiet I love to look at the pics on our intranet and identify Comets, Vanguards, Concorde and MANY MANY VC10's at the stands. There was such a diversty of aircraft manufacturers back then now sadly only TWO Boeing and Airbus.

Sadly these pics are not available to the public as I KNOW you guys would drool over them. I am asking to see if I can get authority to copy them.
Every few years BAA charters an aerial photo reccy directly above the airport for an update. Its sad to see in 1977 no less than FIVE concordes proudly lined up. Now only the token BA wreck sits forlornly on the center airfield.

I guess she will sit there until she rots away now :crying:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

The last VC10 I saw outside the confines of an airbase was heading for the Compton VOR at a similar sort of height/direction I used to see Concorde. I was down the road in Goring when I heard something most unusual so looked up and there she was :wink: Made my day though this is the one and only time I've seen an RAF VC10 on that route. Looked for all the world like it had come out of Heathrow and was heading out and up to cross the pond :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris558 »

VC10ace wrote: I hope to see ONE of the remaining 10's put back in its first colour scheme (which has been rumoured by MOD) as they retire this wonderful old girl :crying:
HEAR, HEAR! :dance:

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Tonks wrote:40 years in service this summer
Well. well there you go. Same as me :partyman: (although not in service but in age... :birthday: )
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?