All our yesterdays...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Re: All our yesterdays...

Post by J0hn »

The bike went back. My best biking friend, mentioned earlier, found some bubbles and uneven paint on the tank, which he is convinced marks the onset of rust.

When I mentioned it to the rep, he was incensed and fetched the mechanic who had assessed it immediately. The mech reckons it's 'just' bad prep on a tank respray job, and the rep did assure me they would sort it out if it did turn out to be rust - but I would be mad to take it now.

Shame, I really do like it. At least I know what my next bike is going to be! :agree:

Effoh
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Effoh »

Slight change of subject, but hopefully still on topic. Up north visiting the parents last week, visited the Scottish Air Show with my Dad. In the evening we got talking about the day and aircraft - I know he's always had a thing about Gladiators and Catalinas as he saw them a lot as a kid. He then casually drops into conversation how flying to Islay on Dragon Rapides for his work used to make him a bit queasy! :-O Never mentioned it before ...turns out he used to travel between Renfrew and Liverpool on Dakotas as well....still trying to pick up my jaw :thumbsup:
Rgds,

Colin
Gentleman (n.) Someone who knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn't

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

How could he keep something like that to himself all these years! :shhh: There's no telling what other gems you have in store :lol:

ATB
Dave :)
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Effoh
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Effoh »

Hi DaveB :hello:

I know! He's 82 and still sharp as a tack. He's promised me some photos from the air show and I'll share them here when they arrive if that's OK? Now where's that download link for DG's Rapide?... ;)
Rgds,

Colin
Gentleman (n.) Someone who knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn't

plumber
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by plumber »

My first flight when a member of the ATC was in an RAF Dragon Rapide followed by several in the Avro Anson,out of Shoreham Airfield, lost my Log Book years ago, would make interesting reading.

Brian H

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

That's fine Colin :thumbsup: What a shame Brian :( I'd love to have had a flight in the Air Atlantique Anson but their licence didn't cover passengers :| Glad to have been able to fly in their TwinPin and Sea Devon though. Had many flights in the 'Classic Flights' Rapides out of Duxford and the Rapide remains one of if not my all time favourite aircraft ;)

ATB
ImageImage

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Like DaveB I've also flown in Some of Atlantiques fleet including the Twin Pin,Rapide,Dakota,Prentice and the Sea Devon.In fact IIRC we were on the same Devon flight Dave,along with DelP and Ben.
In the late 50s whilein the ATC,one of my air experience flights was in an Anson from Binbrook when we flew out over Spurn Head,Grimsby and down the Lincolnshire coast.Must see if I can find my old ATC logbook. :) EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

On 7th January 1958 I flew 6 ATC cadets in Anson TX193 from RAF Leconfield...it was really an Air Test and I suppose I should not really have taken them...But I was persuaded. I had no other crew so I let one of the cadets fly in the right-hand seat. The purpose of the flight was to test the starboard engine feathering motor , which had been worked on or changed. Anyway, I climbed to a suitable height and then closed down number 2 engine and feathered its propeller. I had not really done much asymetric in the Anson so I flew it around for a while to get used to it. The cadet up front seemed happy enough and I had no comments from down the back.

So, testing done with the feathering motor in the feathering mode, it was time to unfeather. I did the necessary and waited for the revs to appear...But NO, the prop remained feathered. I did a few repeats but no dice, it was not going to behave itself.

I'm not sure that I had actually done a single engined landing in the Anson before, but I was certainly going to have to do one now. I felt a bit anxious about it but made a reasonable show of nonchalance about the whole thing. I advised Leconfield that I would be doing a single engined landing and I made an approach clean at 80 knots till I was sure I would get in, then dropped the gear and some flap. I was quite high so did not need much power and my left foot seemed to be coping OK. Anyway, it all went well. The cadet up front didn't seem too worried. I think the most awkward part was taxying in but I think I made it the hangar. The whole flight was only 25 minutes...But it seemed much longer!

I see I did another 3 flights with ATC cadets in TX193 on the 27th April 1958. At the end of the year I was posted to Aden and back onto Venom FB4s... I did 273 hours 50 mins on the Anson 19 and I rather liked it :)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Peter :hello:

273hrs50m is quite a lot for a 'casual' Anson pilot :-O Great story :thumbsup: I presume the groundcrew fixed the feathering motor and some other poor chap got the job of testing it :lol:

Found this for you.. http://www.abpic.co.uk/popup.php?q=1036883

The FSAddon model for FSX has finished beta and is having the documentation and installer made for it. Hopefully, it will come with a C19 :thumbsup:

EDIT: Was the nose and fin painted yellow Peter? The fuse looks silver with blue upper cheat and white roof.

ATB
ImageImage

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

DaveB wrote:Hi Peter :hello:

273hrs50m is quite a lot for a 'casual' Anson pilot :-O Great story :thumbsup: I presume the groundcrew fixed the feathering motor and some other poor chap got the job of testing it :lol:

Found this for you.. http://www.abpic.co.uk/popup.php?q=1036883

The FSAddon model for FSX has finished beta and is having the documentation and installer made for it. Hopefully, it will come with a C19 :thumbsup:

EDIT: Was the nose and fin painted yellow Peter? The fuse looks silver with blue upper cheat and white roof.
No Dave it was an Ex Admirals barge and it was all silver and the interior was fitted out for VIP :)

Thanks for finding the picture Dave...I have saved it and will print one for my logbook. We had two Anson 19s and the other was VL357...One of them was fitted with H2S but I am not sure which one that was :)