Yak-52 froma Alphasim! Coming soon.

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Yak-52 froma Alphasim! Coming soon.

Post by DogTailRed2 »

As you've had a pilots review I'll post a simmers review later, until then enjoy.

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DogTailRed2 »

Hi,

I bought the Yak52 as I like big radial trainers. I have the Alphasim Harvard (Texan, whatever :-) ) and I like it.
Here's a quick review from a simmers perspective to compare with the real pilots review.

I use a floor mounted yoke that I made from an example on flightsim.com. This yoke gives a much more natural feel when flying the old warbirds and trainers.

Tha Alphasim Yak.
VC cockpit. It's a very nice VC cockpit. There's no lag when using Track IR and all the gauges are readable, although I'll need to read the manual for some as they are in Russian. It's the same layout as a western aircraft so no problems there. Some of the textures, if that's the right term, for the VC are basic, maybe not basic perhaps plain is a better description, but that doesn't detract from what is a very nice cockpit. I've only flown from the front seat (can you fly from the rear, haven't read the docs yet :-) ).

External.
I've only flown the sexy black version as shown in my previous post. It looks very nice and detailed. There are some pinpoints of light shining through the bottom of the model but I'm not sure if that is an FSX thing or a model thing. Anyway it doesn't spoil what are very nice external views. The cockpit reflections are a bit dirty looking but you get used to them.

Engine start.
I did a CTRL+E start, some nuematic wheezes and that big radial fired into life. The engine sounds are rearly nice. Nice and lumpy, throaty, rumbly big radial noises what I would expect from a Yak. Yes, the sounds, an often overlooked area of aircraft design is well modelled on the Yak. I love the sounds.

Takeoff.
The aircraft taxi's very easily. I hate hard to taxi aircraft but this one taxi's very smoothly. The notes say add a notch of flap. Well flaps on this bird are either up or down so I selected down. Nuematic hisses and the flaps deploy. I guess the Yak is air driven :-). Takeoff. I applied 85-90% power and at about 100knots off she lifts. Not sure on the takeoff speeds as the pilot note checklists don't mention. The yak flys very nicely, easy to trim and easy to fly. Just what I would expect from a trainer. That rumbly radial purring away.

Flying.
The Yak flys easily. It's very enjoyable. Unlike most FSX aircraft it requires more rudder input in the turns. Rudder seems more realistic to me. I didn't see any mixture leaver, maybe I need to re-map or it doesn't have one. RTFM once I get some time.

Landing.
Without reading the manuals yet I did a common sense landing. 150knots, Gear down, downwind, flaps near finals. I landed first time (100knots ish) without problems. She gets a bit lazy in the turn at slow speeds but I never thought she was getting away from me at any point. It was fun to fly and land.

Verdict.
Well I like this aircraft but then I like Yaks. I watch them flying from White Waltham quite a lot.
It's easy to fly, the externals and sounds are great and there's not fps issues. I'll give it 8/10.
$41 nzd equates to about £18 pound. Not a bad price but £15 would be more reasonable. What with the recession and all :-)

Cheers,

Dog.

p.s. I was surprised that install was an extract to default directory rather than running an .exe file. Nothing major but it makes it less professional for a payware aircraft. I would expect freeware to be like this, payware more polish on the installer.

Prop Jockey
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Prop Jockey »

Hey DTR - nice review :thumbsup:

I've also edited my post above to reflect the fixes in version 1.1.

If it helps, here's a few answers to your observations..................
The notes say add a notch of flap. Well flaps on this bird are either up or down so I selected down. Nuematic hisses and the flaps deploy. I guess the Yak is air driven :-).
Thats probably a carry-over from the original model that had an intermediate stage of flaps. No need to use flaps on T/O - they're only used for landing (and in fact you only select them very late in the approach when you're sure you can reach the runway. They add a lot of drag so its best to leave selction late in case of an engine failure on finals). They are indeed air driven :agree: (gear, flaps, brakes and engine start).
Not sure on the takeoff speeds as the pilot note checklists don't mention
You're spot on - rotate at 100 kph, raise the gear and accelerate to about 160 kph. You can use the following settings for accurate engine operation:
T/O - Prop Fully fine, full power
Climb - Prop back to 82% and 8 Manifold Pressure
Cruise (Fast) - Prop back to 70% and 7 Manifold Pressure
Cruise (Economy) - Prop back to 65% and 6 Manifold Pressure
I didn't see any mixture leaver, maybe I need to re-map or it doesn't have one
Yeah it doesn't have one, also no fuel selector it uses clever Russian witchcraft to keep the left and right tanks balanced.
Without reading the manuals yet I did a common sense landing. 150knots, Gear down, downwind, flaps near finals
Yes 150 kph is one of the magic speeds: Gear down below 200kph. Slow to 170 on finals and extend flaps below 170kph, reducing to 150kph over the hedge.

As the Pilots Operating Handbooks have all been 'translated' from Russian (I use the term loosely) or created based on experience, you will sometimes find variety in the procedures and figures for the 52 - it all adds to the charm of aircrafy :D

Cheers

Rich

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

ahhhh,...just like good simmers.... russian right in , not reading the manual before flying......

yak yak yak

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DogTailRed2 »

That's the beauty of flight simulation. If you get it wrong because you didn't read the manuals you don't die, you just go to that big reset button in the menus. :lol:

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DogTailRed2 »

airboatr wrote:ahhhh,...just like good simmers.... russian right in , not reading the manual before flying......

yak yak yak
BTW just noticed there isn't any manual with this aircraft :S
Anyone got a yak manual pdf or can post a screenie explaining what all those Ruskie gaugues and things do.

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Dave G.

Prop Jockey
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Prop Jockey »

Good find Dave - I've not come across that site before !

Cheers

Rich

PS - if that doesn't help I can probably add some colour - let me know if you have an Q's

austerdriver

Post by austerdriver »

Whats the soundset like in the Alphasim Yak?

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

DogTailRed2 wrote:
Engine start.
I did a CTRL+E start, some nuematic wheezes and that big radial fired into life. The engine sounds are rearly nice. Nice and lumpy, throaty, rumbly big radial noises what I would expect from a Yak. Yes, the sounds, an often overlooked area of aircraft design is well modelled on the Yak. I love the sounds.
Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."