New Lancaster due next month....

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Re: New Lancaster due next month....

Post by DogTailRed2 »

Yes, I thought it was rather nice too.
I picked up a Hasegawa Dambuster Lanc for under £20 from Hannants. I also have the BBMF set (one built and on display, one a gift for me for xmass) waiting in the wings. Just finished an old Airfix Hampden using my new airbrush. First try. Lots of cock ups but not bad in the end. Ruined my canopies by matt painting them. Didn't realise matt varnish fogs clear parts.
Think I'll add this Dambuster to my collection.

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

Didn't realise matt varnish fogs clear parts.
If I remember correctly from my dim and distant IPMS day, you can rescue that by painting over the matt varnish with a gloss one.
ATB Trev

Mickey D
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Mickey D »

I see in true CBFS tradition the vultures are circling already. :lol: and it ain't even out yet. I sent Dan some pics of the St Mawgan Lancs.
Mickey D
Team SDB Scenery Bloke

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

To be honest Mickey to pre show it is to ask for comment :lol:

We can hardly sit tight and then when these things are commented upon after release, get told that the pics were shown so why did no one mention it then :dunno: .

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

I see in true CBFS tradition the vultures are circling already. and it ain't even out yet.
To be fair, this whole section of the forum was very much a 'suck it and see' section when it was started, years ago. Many of those in the 'Ministry' and 'Gurus' thought this site should not mention payware at all. The way the hobby has gone since then has made it more popular than ever.

People (on another forum) often call us 'rivet counters' and now 'vultures' but that is soon forgotten when something like the recent Auster is rolled out of the hangar. One of the elements that make CBFS freeware aircraft good (apart from the skill of the CBFS Gurus) is the fact that a lot our members know an awful lot about our subjects. We are not always 100% correct about everything, but having this forum is our 'local pub' and like a pub, if you see photos of a new car or (god forbid) mobile phone that is noteworthy, it is talked about freely.

Maybe if Dan's company were to ask one or two of our esteemed experts to 'run an eye over a beta' first, a lot of this 'discussion' would come from a factual basis, not a screenshot.

If, as a payware developer if you make subjects to appeal to a Brit customer base, expect the great many British aviation fans, experts or whatever you are to talk about it. To my eyes, the Lanc has some real promise (the GR3 in particular), I just hope Dan is not pressured into finishing whilst the 'shiney' varnish is still wet, as recent payware products have been!
ATB Trev

Mickey D
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Mickey D »

I just hope Dan is not pressured into finishing whilst the 'shiney' varnish is still wet, as recent payware products have been!
That's often the problem Trev [not one I have though]. At the end of the day we have to remember that although it's called a simulation it's not. It's nothing like a simulation 'cause all the senses are not involved. it's just a good game. That's all it ever will be.
The argument that because it's payware it HAS to be better than freeware doesn't hold water either and you mentioned the reason ie. pressure to meet release dates. Freeware devs can afford to spend years on a project and often do. Payware devs don't have that luxoury.

BTW I used the term 'vultures' with tongue firmly wedged in cheek. ;-) I'm sure you don't have a big beak.
Mickey D
Team SDB Scenery Bloke

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Tongue in cheek.. what the hell does that mean :think: :lol:

It's a smashing looking model and well painted by any standard. However.. while one might not expect a payware version to be better than a freeware model (for the reasons mentioned) in every aspect (even though I do!!).. one would expect it to be right visually if nothing else. Freeware developers do not have a secret cache of 'accurate' photo's and the data we use is the same as that readily available to the rest of the world ;-) Rule of thumb.. if it don't look right.. it aint right :cool:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

http://www.simsoftware.co.uk/product_in ... cts_id=160

More info available, including this little gem...

" Although most famous for its daylight precision bombing "Dam Buster" raids, codenamed Operation Chastise, on the dams of the Ruhr Valley, the Lancaster excelled at night bombing. "

This particular vulture is now on to the brandy and cigars.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Well mate.. seems you get both FS9 and X versions for your dollar which will certainly be more attractive to those hanging on to the older sim and resigned to the fact they'll move on at some point :)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

Mickey D wrote:At the end of the day we have to remember that although it's called a simulation it's not. It's nothing like a simulation 'cause all the senses are not involved. it's just a good game. That's all it ever will be.
I have to disagree with that comment. I have a 3D brain...until recently my working life involved 'artistic construction'...design, furniture maker, modelmaker, pattern maker....when I fire up FS I'm inside the monitor and totally involved, with all senses, to the exclusion of everything else.

Each to their own ;)

ATB,

Derek
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals