Treescapes UK

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Treescapes UK

Post by petermcleland »

Good Lord!

That is Stoke Fleming down there and I can see my house :Dance:

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

The only negative thing about Treescapes for me, is the price. £40 INCLUDING VAT would be just about on the limit but £47 pushes it over the top.

Sorry Darren, I'm going to pass on this one.
Dave G.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well done Peter. Obviously, one cannot be expected to immediately recognise ones dwelling from that angle ;) Without knowing the area, that little exercise was rather more difficult than expected but I was quietly confident I'd hit the spot :cpu: I know you fly your beloved Hunters a lot and look after McLeland Field but I thought I'd bring you up-to-date with what you can expect closer to home.. especially as you have a rig capable of running FSX with ease at high resolutions and settings. As it happens, there is a freeware set of Farm Strips.. I think originally made for VFRPhoto but which also work with GenX and one such strip isn't that far away from where you live.. Halwell. That said.. there's enough land around your house to build your own small strip ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Looks oakay to me. 8)

I've got the GenX Southern England & South Wales, and the lack of trees ( or anything else vertical for that matter ) has dampened my enthusiasm for it. This could make a difference, but the FS shopping list is a long one at the moment.

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Looks the dogs bollox. But I can't justify that sort of money for this. Sorry guys. Thanks but no thanks. *-)
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

Darren
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Darren »

Hi

Thank you for the welcome Dave :)

The trouble is... Flightsim development is very time consuming and expensive to do, and unfortunately these days there are not the numbers of flight simmers as there once was in the market. If there were more potential sales from a greater pool of customers then we'd be able to keep the cost less. But at the end of the day we have to price a product so that it stands a chance of giving us a return greater than the cost of producing it, else what would be the point at all. I agree that as a hobby flightsim and it's add-on purchases can amount to a lot, but I don't think at all that Treescapes UK is over priced or out of proportion to other add-ons in the market. It might suprise you that I'd been critisized by some very well known and respected FS add-on vendors when we met at the Weston-super-mare flightsim convention, for pricing Treescapes UK much too low, and I was strongly advised to increase the price from what it is. I'm probably doing a poor job of marketing it and as a result it's not being recognised as the ground breaking product that it actually is, afterall this is the first time ever a product has successfully placed accurate autogen on such a large scale.
If you fly UK photographic scenery then Treescapes UK will transform it,but I do understand your concerns ( Times are hard) For anyone that might like to take a punt on a single volume area (£14.99+vat ) I honestly think you might change your oppinion. If you then wanted to get the other two volumns to make up three in the bundle you can drop me an e-mail and I'll send you a code so you get the three at the bundle price.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Darren :hello:

Thanks VM for that :) I'm in the retail business (of sorts.. I run a pub which sells food and has 6 B&B rooms) and I understand you can't please all of the people all of the time.. Joe Public wanting as much as is humanly possible for as little as possible. The offer of the bundle price for 2 further volumes is most welcome and one I might just take you up on ;)
Without doubt, Treescapes completely transforms (for those not using the old AGN Trees) the very barren GenX landscape and makes VFR flying much more enjoyable. I've spent a lot of time recently doing VA flights in the Islander covering all of our southern region destinations. I then moved up to Scotland and couldn't believe what a difference the default autogen trees made. This as much as anything prompted me to try Volume 1 and I'm very glad I did. The old AGN trees gave rather more of a frame hit than I liked so I removed them. No such problems with Treescapes ;)

So.. should I be in a position to pay myself this month, I know where I'll be sneaking my next software purchase :thumbsup:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Fodda
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Fodda »

HHmmm... Interesting. What is the bundle price?

I've been using the AGN trees on GenX and if I can get a few frames back by removing them I'd grab it. But I really don't like the flat look without the autogen. Now I'm more interested.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

DaveB wrote:Without knowing the area, that little exercise was rather more difficult than expected but I was quietly confident I'd hit the spot :cpu: I know you fly your beloved Hunters a lot and look after McLeland Field but I thought I'd bring you up-to-date with what you can expect closer to home.. especially as you have a rig capable of running FSX with ease at high resolutions and settings. As it happens, there is a freeware set of Farm Strips.. I think originally made for VFRPhoto but which also work with GenX and one such strip isn't that far away from where you live.. Halwell. That said.. there's enough land around your house to build your own small strip ;)
I'm amazed that you managed to find my place Dave...I know it is not too easy as I had a go in the Google Earth Flight Simulator the other day and tried to land it in the nearby football field :worried: I failed on that but managed to get it down on some countryside reasonably nearby...One problem round here is all the gradients in the open spaces :dunno:

Yes, in real life on the ground, I pass the strip at Halwell quite frequently but never yet at the time of an aircraft movement.

Dave I really have too much to do in FS9, to go back to playing with FSX...I still have the original DVDs that MS gave me for beta testing but the only thing I like in Default FSX is the water, so I would have to make many additions to make it worth using...Maybe in a year or two when I have finished McLeland Field :lol: ...BTW, with my new found knowledge from training 208 Squadron, I'm now training those 36 F-16 pilots to do similar stream landings and take-offs and developing the technique a bit further :)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Peter :hello:

Yes.. I had Google maps, Google Earth and Flightsim Commander v8 open to find you. My second monitor was not a very tidy place at all :lol: How my daughter manages with a single monitor and multiple facebook pages open is beyond me :lol:

No.. your reservations about moving (or even playing with) FSX are understood and to get it to the level you see requires a fairly large financial outlay. That said, GenX v2 is a far superior piece of software to the old VFRPhoto FS2002/2004 and makes different sorts of flying (including low level at 'reasonable' speeds) a viable proposition. Out of the box, even GenX isn't the whole solution because it effectively kills all autogen from a humble tree to a sky scraper so unless you go down the path of dragging the old AGN trees over.. your world remains a very flat one at low altitudes. It makes finding airfields quite easy as these generally come with at least a smattering of trees so you can see them from miles off but it's certainly not 'as real as it gets' :lol: Of course, Treescapes is another alternative and while not free like the other, older AGN tree sets, the end result is a lot more realistic. The beauty of GenX is that there are a whole host of goodies out there for free ranging from airfields to farm strips, to buildings of note to oil refineries.

So.. one day, whenever you get bored with FS9.. there is enough waiting to be done in FSX to keep you going for many years. I use both sims so enjoy the best of both worlds ;) I can't ever see me getting rid of FS9 as that is where 99.9% of my serious flying is done but it's nice to dip my toe into FSX :)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage