Cue 'Dallas' theme music - Kosta banned from Avsim!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Cue 'Dallas' theme music - Kosta banned from Avsim!

Post by TSR2 »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Chris Trott wrote:
Both in the US and Europe, unless your employer (which includes anyone you are working for on a volunteer basis) grants you specific permission, any work you do and publish for them is THEIRS, not yours.
Entirely wrong I am afraid , in the UK in any event, and it is likely to be the same in the common law jurisdictions including the USA . The only basis for such a condition is in fact contractual and not a state of affairs brought about by the general law

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Then the UK has changed the law, because in the US and under International Copyright (and Patent), anything published on behalf of or at the request of an employee is theirs. It is an "assumed positive" in the law. For you to keep your copyright and/or patent rights when doing something for an employer, that has to be in writing that you retain all rights. Otherwise, they get them all because you are being compensated by them for the work being performed on their behalf (and access and storage space are considered "compensation") and they are receiving the benefit and risk of the work directly, not you.

Even at that, if you want to go to the contract route, he did enter into a contract with AVSIM to produce an FSX guide for them when the request was made by the staff to him and he agreed to do it. There does not need to be a formal document for it to be a legal contract. He additionally agreed to become an employee of the company when he accepted the administrator permissions.

I'm not a 100% fan of the way it works, but I also understand why it is that way at the same time. My grandfather created several major products for his employer over the years, including several that became industry standards. His name is on the drawings and such, but the patents and copyrights for the product and documents only have the name of the company and he got no residuals or royalties. In the same thread, I wrote and updated several manuals and designed a bunch of spreadsheets and some web content for one of my former employers. My name wasn't on any of the content for the same reason and I have absolutely no right to those items or to tell them they can't use them anymore. I did keep copies of the work for a while so I could use it as an example to prospective employers in the future, but that wasn't an infringement on the copyright as it would have never been used by anyone.

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Yeah, whatever 8)

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Yeah

We've moved on,
We havn' recess now.