Capt Sim L-1011

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Capt Sim L-1011

Post by DaveB »

Hi JD :)

Yes.. I was aware that the k suffix denoted an 'unlocked' cpu. I may dabble in the future but not with the standard heatsink/fan.

From recent experience looking at the QX6700, E8400 and the i5 2500k.. they all seem to run around the same temps when under load plus or minus a few degrees and this, on a standard cooler equates to 67-68deg. Both quads idle in the mid-high 20's and the 8400 sits at 30. If anything, the 8400 runs just a little cooler under load but it's only running 2 cores and as such, isn't generating the same heat.

Having seen the i5 overclocked to 4.4 and the QX6700 overclocked to 3 (from 2.66).. I've not noticed any discernable difference in top end, under load temps with stock cooling. They still leap up to the high 60's when pushed and return to mid/high 20's at idle so a top end of 57 using aftermarket cooling is a decent drop and something I may look at. I think the i5 may have been bouncing off thermal shutdown when it all went 'surreal' :worried: PSU in that rig is a Corsair TX650. Not big by todays standards but more than up to running what I have. Should have gone for the modular version but couldn't afford the extra readies at the time.

My mobo is an Asus P8P67 (standard) btw so similar to what you've seen. To return the cpu/memory to standard took 2 clicks of the mouse in the bios ;) I'm a big fan of Asus mobo's.. this is my 4th. I run a P5Q Deluxe with the E8400 and ran A7N8X-E and A7N8X-E Deluxe on my last 2 AMD rigs (XP2400 and XP3200). When I began building my own pc's, I used A-bit boards and found them pretty much bullet proof. Had a dabble with Gigabyte for a couple of builds but found them a little more fragile (XP1400, XP1700 and briefly E6600).

Right.. have we dragged Paul's L1011 post far enough off track yet? :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

PaulC wrote:Hi Ben,

The original contraption was a Dell Inspiron 531. Like I said, I've upped the power, put a better graphics card in and added 2GB of RAM. It was originally on Vista so I dealt with that travesty too!
Hi Paul, i had a quick dig on the net, but all the specs i could find seemed to be for the AMD version. If you're running a x64 OS more memory wont hurt, but its difficult to know how much more visible performance you'll get, if any. I suppose it depends on if / when you're thinking about upgrading too, as you don't want to be wasting money that could go towards that. Hope that makes sense. 3yo is driving us nuts and we haven't slept all week :(
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

PaulC
VC10
VC10

Post by PaulC »

Athlon Dual Core x2 5000+ 2.6GHz is the chappie.
Can it have a bit more performance pulled out of it?

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Ah right, sorry i thought it was an Intel. No idea where i picked that up from. I'm not particularly up to speed on overclocking AMD's but I'd have thought it would be more difficult in a branded PC as its not the sort of thing they encourage due to warranty and such like.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

PaulC
VC10
VC10

Post by PaulC »

I'll not buy the TriStar then. (Back on topic, did you see what I did there!!! :thumbsup: )

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

B)smk :lol: :lol:

It's probably my fault Ben.. I presumed it was a E6600 :worried:

ATB
DaveB
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!