Building RAE Bedford for FSX

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Building Airfields FSX

Post by TSR2 »

Not sure what I've done wrong, other ATC just refers to it as it ICAO identifier (EGVW) and locally its not using BEDFORD. :wall:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Problem solved after our Graham prompted a thought. If you have P3D installed Editvoicepack doesn't see the FSX install, so it had put my updated RAE Bedford into P3D, not FSX. Copied the voice file over from P3D and its working a treat. Good job too as I was loosing the will to live :lol:

ImageImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi chaps,

there were two cats at Bedford, one in a raised deck to simulate a ship, and another flush. Separately there was arrester gear set up on another runway.

Is it possible to add a cat and arrester gear to a runway? I'm guessing if i model the raised deck it should be easy enough (famous last words) to add a cat to that.

ImageImageImage

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work in theory, but I don't know enough about scenery design to say for sure. *-)
Dave G.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I've been making some (limited) progress tonight with my modelling. Can someone describe or point me in the right direction as to how I would mage a toblerone type shape in GMAX?

I was thinking if I made a long box, converted it to an editable mesh and then moved the points at the top of the mesh together this would work, but whether I use a pox as a starting point or draw a rectangle and extrude it, when I go to Vertex selection I don't get the points on the wireframe to move, it moves the whole object as though it wont select just the bits I want
. :wall:

OK, so I don't know what I did, but I sort of got it working. Now I've been following Bill Womacks tutorial for texturing and its not working for me, probably because the shape is to complex :wall:
1.jpg
(22.63 KiB) Downloaded 1051 times

ImageImageImage

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

ah, the dark art of texturing :lol:
That shape would be fairly easy to do, but the method I'd use would depend on how you want the finished object to look.
Are all the sides a different texture, or can they use the same one? is the top different? Are you going to use several different bitmaps, or just one with all the parts o it?
I assume the tutorial has you selecting polys and mapping them, then selecting others and mapping those etc.
I like to map separate objects, so if it was me I'd split the top off, and apply a UVW map modifier to that, then an unwrap UVW modifier so you can edit the position on the texture. Do the same with the sides, then once you've done all the separate bits and are happy with them, convert one of the parts to an editable poly and attach all the others so it's a single object again. Drop into vertex sub-mode and weld the joins. Add an unwrap UVW modifier to the object if you need to tweak the mapping.

There are dozens of methods to achieve the same result though. You could apply a UVW map, and set it to box mapping, then add an unwrap to tweak.
Dave G.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Dave, black art is an understatement :lol:

I've been using the box method described in Bills tutorial. The strange thing is when i open the uvw unwrap I'm seeing other vertices that I'm not seeing in the model. I need to build the two camera towers too, so I thought I'd try a standard box shape, but I still get the same problem when i open the materials editor to add the BMP in that i don't get the 'apply' button, its greyed out. I'm wondering if its a format issue. I'm using GIMP to export it as a 24 bit xbitmap bmp file. :dunno:

ImageImageImage

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

GMax will use jpeg files for textures (but you would need to convert them to dds for FSX).
George

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Thanks George, I'll give that a go, avoids any confusion with BMP types :thumbsup:

P.s. Could you send me over that 3source program you wrote please, I've lost the original one. :doh:

ImageImageImage

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

On its way.
George