Heathrow 1966 Work in Progress

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Heathrow 1966 Work in Progress

Post by PeteP »

TobyV wrote:Currently working on the PAN AM and Air India hangars to the south of runway 28L / 8R.
Goodness me, Toby - a runway with a bend in it Now there's a novelty. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pete

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

My mental arithmetic (or in this case ability to subtract 18 from 28!) seems to be failing me! Never fear, the runways are still straight :lol:

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Just add them together instead.... much easier ;)
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

DanKH wrote:Just add them together instead.... much easier ;)
Pardon? Now that really has confused me, Dan. Do you mean adding 18 to 28 (or 180 to 280)? I make that 46 or 460. What do you do then? Subtract 36/360 to give you the answer of 10/100? Seems a long way of doing things but perhaps I've misunderstood.

I guess after a lifetime's use, reciprocals are stored in the old grey matter but if I do need to calculate one, I find the quickest way is to relate them to the cardinal points - north and south are 36(0) and 18(0) and east and west are 09(0) and 27(0) so, if I have a runway 25 I simply say that 25 is 2 less than 27 so the reciprocal must be 2 less than 09 - therefore it's 07. If I want to know the reciprocal of runway 33, I know that that's 3 less than 36 so the reciprocal must be 3 less that 18 - in other words 15.

Pete

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Once again Pete.. you bring order to confusion ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DavidK
Victor
Victor

Post by DavidK »

PeteP wrote:Goodness me, Toby - a runway with a bend in it Now there's a novelty. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I read somewhere that the US military once considered designs that featured huge circular runways circumscribing airfields/airports -- but, yes, it may've been an "April Fool"-type article...

David

Brian Franklin
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Brian Franklin »

TobyV wrote:I'm guessing some of Ian (SB951)'s "self loading freight" would have arrived by bus:
Oy! - In 1966 I was some of that Self loading freight!! I remember turning up at the BOAC Victoria buildings and the transit out to Heatrow in the blue buses before departing on G-ARVM (a VC-10 in BOAC livery but leased to Air Ceylon) for Singapore. Did that journey in both directions sveral times over the following few years.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Brian,

If you have memories of how it looked back then and you're running FS2004 still, you might be ideal as a tester if you're interested? ;)

Toby

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

PeteP wrote:... Seems a long way of doing things but perhaps I've misunderstood.

No that was just what I meant .... :hide:

Toby! ... You have infected me! :help:
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Hi Toby...I joined BEA at the end of 1964. Of course the present Terminal One had not been built but I remember that that is where the BEA staff car park was...At the time, I had a Jaguar XK150 and I remember the car park was quite large and returning from a couple of nights away, I was unable to find my car...I walked up and down and all over the place searching and in the end I concluded that it had been stolen.

I was walking disconsolately back towards our Crewroom in the Queen's Building when I stumbled into it, lurking where it had parked it! I wonder if you do put the car park in, you might place a Cotwold Blue fixed head XK150 with chromium wire wheels in there!