**FSX DEMO: OUT THIS EVENING ON GAMESPOT**

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

airboatr

Post by airboatr »

Over and over again mediocrity is promoted because real worth
(or real world?) isn't to be found.
Author: Kathleen Norris

Only mediocrity can be trusted to be always at its best.
Author: Sir Max Beerbohm

d0mokun
Trident
Trident

Post by d0mokun »

Chris Halpin wrote:
2) The FS guys have admitted that the demo is more-or-less a beta build. They do not have any of the performance tweaks in it that the final software will have. This is due to running out of time to do so before needing to get the demo out. So expect greatly improved performance in the final version.
Whereabouts did they admit this? It would explain a few things, I've noticed a lot of bugs with the stock aircraft and missions that come with it.
Even testers don't have an out-of-beta-build, so I doubt that a final RC has been released to the public.

Dan.

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Chris Halpin wrote:Whereabouts did they admit this? It would explain a few things, I've noticed a lot of bugs with the stock aircraft and missions that come with it.
SOH was where I read it. At least 3 of the ACES guys are trolling about (in a good way) through the forums there and answering what questions they can.

On to better things -

All I can say is that overall I think it's going to be a nice improvement. I need to modify my graphics card again and will probably end my FS9 days (again) because my GeForce 7800GT doesn't like FS9 (when I tool-tip or open SquawkBox, it freezes the whole screen under that, no matter what version of the drivers I use...), so I guess I'll have to give up the ghost on flying FS9 online and wait for FS10, which on my computer (even with all the problems) I'm still getting at least 8FPS with all sliders to max in the worst situation, which to me is a good sign since I spent US$900 for a new computer that should be able to handle FSX decently.

There are some obvious control issues, but most will be resolved when Pete Dawson releases FSUIPC for FSX since FS doesn't handle large setups like I have as easily as it should and FSUIPC's "Aircraft Specific" option allows me to have profiles preset so I don't have to change the control scheme each time I choose to change what type of aircraft I'm flying.

Graphics are good on my system with only some flashing texture issues, but I think most of that is due to the old video drivers I'm using, so I'll see when I put the current ones in what changes.

andy

Post by andy »

Chris, have you got your frame rates limited???
8fps is dreadful.
I haven't got the most up to date system, but 55-65FPS is normal.

Go to "Options/settings/display/hardware" and set the "Target Framerate" to unlimited.

Anything less than 20fps is unacceptable in my mind.

Also, switch off ground shadows, they are a frame rate killer. :wink:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Well it's going have to be better than this

I have texture areas flashing from grey to white and back with the beacons on the Canadair

Also on the intro the aircraft approaching are missing parts which get added as it gets closer.

The 747 comes towards me with no wheels they appear followed by the doors closing or at least door slots being filled.

Also as I pan around on spot view the sound almost vanishes from as the front or back is passed.

The default aircraft look a great improvement over FS9 but still fall short of the FS9 add ons.

OK so it's hard to tell form this, but the texture issues which also include things visibly drawing at CLOSE range seem a step back and shouldn't happen even on a demo

There were several major pauses (bad stutters)

Visually it looks like fs9 so far

I do like the settings which show what is changing and by how much.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

Gave in to temptation and downloaded it.

If I was uncle Bill I'd be asking what the FS team had been doing for 3 years. Surely it hasn't taken all that time to make the water more life-like?

Very dissapointed, I think my plastic is safe for the immediate future.

Allan
'Read the insrtructions - are you mad?'

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

I downloaded the demo from MS, installed the Super VC10 right away, and took her for a spin, from Juliane to V.C.Bird....no remarkable drop in FPS, nice effects but obviously there are a few thing that will be tuned before release....

I only fly using mouse and keyboard, and sometimes it didn't react on me key-presses. In the different views I wasn't able to find out how to tilt the viewing angle, minor details, but a fair demo, and I will for certain be one of the first to get my copy, and I'm of course heading for the deluxe version. Here's a couple of pics:

Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

andy wrote:Chris, have you got your frame rates limited???
8fps is dreadful.
I haven't got the most up to date system, but 55-65FPS is normal.

Go to "Options/settings/display/hardware" and set the "Target Framerate" to unlimited.

Anything less than 20fps is unacceptable in my mind.

Also, switch off ground shadows, they are a frame rate killer. :wink:
I had frames limited to 20 to try and force the system to put everything up and max out my system. If you move it to "unlimited" it won't always do that, nor will moving the frame rates up. But like I said, that was the worst I saw when I had a lot of things moving and with a bad video card driver. Once I update them, I'll run it again and see what kinds of improvements I see. Running in "unlimited" mode, I was getting a solid 40FPS, so it wasn't an issue.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi DanK

Are you getting see through engines on the left from the back only....that is empty nacelles not transparent?

ATB

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

airboatr

Post by airboatr »

I see the ATC window is larger and more conplex
obstructing even more the piolts view
:roll: