Flying for Real..

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Re: Flying for Real..

Post by VEGAS »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good stuff mate.

Ironically we have stuck ours on the market this week.

We need something with a more toddler friendly garden and the wife wants an ensuite!

Feels very daunting putting our house up for sale but its a case of needs must and all that.

Disappointed with the valuation but the house we are interested in has lost value as well.

It's all relative I suppose. Swings and roundabouts! :dunno:

On the flip side mortgage rates are brilliant at the minute.

Great times for borrowers not as good for savers. :((
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

We're on countdown Eddie.. the first battery charge is taking place as I type :rock: I doubt she'll let me fly until Tuesday (when the weather will probably be crap so I won't be able to!) but I'll be ready! :lol:

Yup.. it's difinitely a buyers market on the house front.. if you can get a mortgage that is. Thank god I already owned half of the estate (in practicality, half the house) otherwise what the bank offered would have been as much use as boobies on a bull 8) Still.. I DID own half the house so what I was offered was enough ;)

ATB
DaveB :) B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Ker ding :hello:

Well.. I looked out of the window just after tea this evening and noticed nowt was moving so I ran (make that walked quickly) around the corner to the 'airfield' and likewise.. barely a stir. Dashed back (make that walked quicker).. grabbed the Champ and spent a very happy hour flying. :rock: It's amazing how much control you have when a mini gale isn't blowing above around 20ft :lol: It did manage to tumble from the skies twice for no reason I could think of but otherwise.. it was nice and controlled and a whole pile of fun. The wife popped over with the Labrador in case I needed some launch assistance but by the time she arrived, I was already up and running and nearing the end of my first battery :lol: Even she was suitably impressed at my prowess :lol: Four batteries worth was just enough this evening as I could barely feel my thumbs come 8pm ;)

So.. what can I say! Well.. thanks to Eddie for the recommend and to you all for your encouragement :thumbsup: I really do wish I had a firm surface to land on (and takeoff too for that matter) as I don't like lobbing it into the air or landing as a controlled crash. It'd be different without the gear fitted but with a relatively low prop.. I guess it's safer to look untidy than skid to a graceful stop. What I'm probably saying is that I already want something like the model Eddie had before the Wildcat/Hellcat.. whichever one it is :lol: I dare not as I'd be killed instantly but a lad always has needs ;)

Onwards and upwards :rock:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Sounds like fun Dave :)

Think I may be getting tempted myself :lol:
Dave G.

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Great stuff mate. Really glad your enjoying yourself.

Its funny because I really fancy another plane(that'll be four!) having been well and truly hooked learning the the art of model flying on the Champ.

I still find flying the Champ fun and something I'll always go back to no matter what planes I fly in the future.

The Champ is a great little park flyer and I took mine in the park a few days ago when the family and I went for a picnic.

It got the kids (and adults!) stopping to gaze up and watch. It was a lovely warm afternoon and everyone was watching. B)smk

When I brought it in, I had to get the landing right or I'd have looked a right t!t. Thankfully I managed a good landing, bringing it in to a gentle flare and it sat softly on the grass where the wife and baby were sat. B-)

Quite a few people applauded. :agree: :lol:

This week I've been down in Somerset visiting family and took the Wildcat down there with me. Did around ten flights and had an absolute ball! :OB:

I would'nt fly the Wildcat in a crowded area. Needs to be open country, nice and flat and no one about as its far too frantic and needs a good bit of grass to skim when it comes in. I'd kill someone with it in a crowded park. :rofl:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

I can well imagine! :lol: I'm still very much a 'secret' flyer so a complete lack of audience.. even with the Champ, is important. I don't mind the wife being there but I'm not confident enough yet ;) A few folk passed with dogs yesterday evening (at a distance) and I can tolerate that ;)
I think I've only used full throttle a mere handful of times thus far.. half throttle or less is a lot more fun and I can keep up with what it's doing at that setting :lol: I can't believe how fast it'll go with a reasonable wind and this is only a learner! :-O The sun is out and it looks like another good day so I may get the little devil out again later. Two more batteries to charge and I'll be ready :thumbsup:

DG.. I can't recommend one of these enough and strongly urge you to dip your toe into RC mate :lol:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Dink..

Couldn't help but take it out again today. The weather wasn't bad but the wind gusted a lot more than on my first attempt :-O Still.. undetered, I took to the skies and managed a pretty good session. It was much easier flying in marginal conditions having had one good day learning in the calm ;)
However.. I've come home this afternoon with a cracked rudder. Gad knows how I managed it as the rudder hasn't hit the deck at all. It may have been while trying to fit the second battery with frozen fingers :worried: Will sellotape be ok for a fix? It's not snapped off.. just cracked and I flew it in that condition until the wind was such that it could barely make headway against the wind. It's a bit limp but still hanging on (the top bit.. roughly on the line of the G in G-FLYR.. front to aft) :)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Hi Dave,

The Champ has a very brittle tail. I had to recently replace mine. It cost about £2.99. You get the whole tailplane assembly and inserts.

Ebay or most model shops do the tail. Just google replacement Champ tail.

I broke mine when I turned it upside down to put another battery in and I turned it the right way up and instantly noticed a 2cm fracture. :doh:

When the servos pull and push the rod thats attached to the rudder it ended up moving at the weakest point ie the fracture.

My champ now is a compilation of glue and toothpicks. :lol: :lol: Both wings have been sheared off like that Cessna scene in James Bond! :rofl:

They reattached fine with tape and toothpicks and it still flys great. :thumbsup:

I remember the lad who got me into flying once said that your very first model will resemble a flying banana after a while mainly due to the crashes and repairs that'll it'll undergo during the learning phase. :)

I would suggest putting some clear tape over the fracture either side to strengthen and avoid breaking it completely off unless its unavoidable.

It it breaks off completely then a small piece of toothpick inserted into the foam and reattached may be the only option before replacement it required.

When you do (and you will!) get a new tail at some point in the future you will need to buy a special type of glue as the model is made of foam and most glues will dissolve the foam like acid. I use a CA Foam safe glue and a decent kicker which sprays onto the glue after application and sets it instantly. Although it leaves a white residue.

Hope its not too bad matey. The first one is always the worst. ;)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Eddie :hello:

Tape and toothpicks hey! I'll get a supply in :lol:

The fracture was only on one side though the other side was probably staying there due to the paint! :worried: :lol: I put some tape on the fractured side then thought it would be a good idea to strengthen the repair with a bit on the other side.. crack! :doh: It feels quite firm and should hold until I manage to bash it again ;)

One thing I've noticed today.. while doing control surface checks, the rudder (although centering) moves further when LH rudder is applied than when RH rudder is applied. I've tried to get my head around why this is happening but can't. I flew all day with it like that and all it means is that I have a tad more LH authority than RH. Is something buggered do you think? *-) Pinching the rudder control wire wouldn't help as the rudder sits straight.. well straight as something foam will sit straight :lol: It's got me baffled :dunno:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Re the rudder Dave

Could the different deflection be deliberate to counter some of the torque effect?? *-)
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."