Meteor F.8/FR.9

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Meteor F.8/FR.9

Post by DaveB »

I can replicate the AP fault at will so Support Ticket sent to JF re the EGT and AP ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

WarHorse47
Comet
Comet

Post by WarHorse47 »

DaveB wrote:Hello mate..

As mentioned above, the F3 PN's state 'where fitted' for the generator lamps so I guess it's something that wasn't seen as that important. It would be to me though :lol:

The F8 didn't have an AP.. I don't think any 'in service' Meteors did. It's something AH added ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
Correct. Page 19 of the manual..
The real Meteor had no such thing as an autopilot, but for those who like the convenience of an autopilot while
flying in their simulator we have installed a very basic unit (5) with heading and altitude hold functions.
You did read the manual, didn't you? :hide:

And yes, no lamps for the generator. I did a quick search for any comparable gauge I could add as a 2D panel but found none. One has to depend on the AP and other gauges to determine when the battery dies due to a lost generator.

--WH

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

There are quite a few generator warning lamps knocking around WH and adding one to a 2D pop-up shouldn't be rocket science. Adding one to the VC would be rather more challenging! Point is though.. we know the C&D function isn't starting the generator so it's a snag for the manufacturer to fix :cpu:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

WarHorse47
Comet
Comet

Post by WarHorse47 »

Got a response this morning from JF support.
The developer reckons you must not have the required MS VS runtimes on your system
Not sure I agree, so I sent them a snap of what MS VC runtimes I do have installed.

I felt my system is very current as I allow selected MS updates and have no problems with any other of my many addons, so I don't know how they reached that conclusion.

--WH

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hmm..

Just checked my mail and nothing back yet. I received an auto-response when the ticket was raised and got a confirmatory email from Martyn this morning. They reckon it's M$ runtimes hey *-) As far as I'm concerned, if I can run the MV and SWS Phantoms.. I'm up to date as these won't work without the required runtimes being in place.

We shall see :guinn:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

WarHorse47
Comet
Comet

Post by WarHorse47 »

Disregard my last post.

JF just notified me the message was sent to me in error.

--WH

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

I don't think any of us are surprised by that ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

WarHorse47
Comet
Comet

Post by WarHorse47 »

Always interesting having these exchanges with companies like JF. Lots of intrigue, like a spy novel. Many nameless characters identified only as the "beta testers" or "the developer." Responses to technical issues seem washed out without any inkling as to what the end user actually has installed.

Fortunately, this was just an e-mail error otherwise I would have just given up on the whole package. :dunno:

--WH

Henk Schuitemaker
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Henk Schuitemaker »

I may sound like the devil's advocate here but I count my blessings as long as there still are developers who make cold war military jets like this for FSX (and for a decent price). Everyone knows that is not where the money is, don't be surprised if in a not too distant future most payware military jets will be for DCS. Yes, the Meteor did/does have a couple of issues but some have been fixed very quickly with Sp1 and that generator issue is not a big deal. It took me 10 minutes to write a simple xml gauge which controls the generator so I am sure JF will fix it on their end.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I don't really disagree with that Henk. As I said at SoH, I feel almost obliged to buy these things even though I may not be a nut on the type as failure to do so may mean they dry up. I DO wish they paid more attention to detail though. We're not talking swing-wing Tornado here or MV Phantom tacpaked to the hilt. It's a simple jet with moving surfaces and landing gear!! The generator issue, while comparatively minor, raises issues over testing and how those release textures got through the inspection process is beyond belief 8) The 'fix' was adequate but none of the textures I've seen are top-end. Noddy posted a shot of the 65Sqn display aircraft over at SoH today and just look at it. Would any display aircraft look so riffy?? I could go on but there's little point.

As for spending 10mins writing a little generator program.. I'd still be at square one after 10 months :lol:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage