RAF A330

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: RAF A330

Post by DaveB »

Hi Chris..

No.. it was careful planning ;)

There was another flight up that day at the same time.. one of the many (at the time) families day flights. That aircraft was tasked (full of families) to refuel GR4's and our aircraft was tasked to refuel F3's. Neither DM or I were aware of this at the time.. we went with the flow ;) Of course, the F3 flights (the GR's too) were training flights of sorts as they all are but both 10's were there to do the business. Briefing and departure from Brize was at some ridiculous time of the day.. delayed slightly by a faulty drogue, then off up to bonnie Scotland. We only knew of the other '10 when the crew had finished our sortie, had some time in hand due to the wx being poor over Leuchars leaving us with one flight less to refuel, so they went and had a look for the other '10 :)
Had it not been for the 'careful planning'.. DM and I would have ended up on the families day flight.. accompanied by lots of mum's with kids! As it was, all we had onboard were the flight crew +1 (the FE was on a check flight).. the steward.. Tonks.. me and DM :rock: The object of 'the plan' was bonafide and I'd like to think the coverage the flight hit the objective ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris558 »

Lucky bu88er! :lol: Did you get any shots of the other 10?

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Lucky bu88ers! :lol:

As it happens, my Canon had trouble shooting through the FD windows but DM took some nice ones with his Fuji 2700. I don't have them on this pc but I do on the XP3200. I'll flash that up tomorrow and post a couple. I'm sure DM won't mind ;) An interesting little thing we experienced on joining the other '10. We were a little fast so the Capt pulled the airbrakes and having done so, it was obvious why they weren't used routinely in civvie days. The front of the '10 lifted (and then some) accompanied by a rapid J-J-J-J-udder sound and vibration :-O One can only imagine how exciting a 'rapid descent' is :lol:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!