Flying for Real..

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Flying for Real..

Post by Vc Ten »

Flying yesterday (chippy) and today (Cap 232) Not the best of weather either day But better yesterday :lol: with a bit of sunshine thrown in. Chippy only had two flights. First was cut short with an engine misfire. Came in before it became terminal. Replaced the spark plug which cured the problem. Tried another flight, all ok, but light failing (bout 3.30)
Thought I'd chance the cap today, not flown it since early summer. Had about 8 or 9 flights, not particularly long ones as more interested if my landing skills had improved ;) Not bad actually with only one a bit wayward ending in the long grass to the side of the strip when she /I didnt respond quickly enough on the rudder when a gust pushed her off course on finals
Dont know if this predicted snow in the coming week will curtail flying for a while :dunno:
ATB
Dale
Last edited by Vc Ten on 18 Nov 2013, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Well done with the CAP mate. Sri for not answering your txt.. was at work and the mobile was in my bag :worried:

Think floats for the snow. I've read they work great on snow so I'm looking forward to trying the Cub with em fitted :)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Ideal conditions this morning with the exception of the temperature.. hovering on zero :-O

Took the Walrus out for 15mins (1x2200) which was all my digits could stand. Still.. I've been out so can't complain. Well I can, but I won't :lol:

How you doin' Hobby?

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Hi Mate :hello:
Flew Saturday (Cap again) but a few down there and most were pre ocupied with FPV setup (transmitted image to a lcd screen so we could all see) on a hexcopter, flying out to the limit of visuals probably best part of a mile Very techy stuff :lol: But although cam was sending back live picture we were unable to capture any to the sd card :dunno: In between events had 3 flights 2 of which were poor landings Audience of course :agree: Ran off the end of the strip coming it too fast no damage but annoying as i was getting to grips with them well the previous week
Looks possible for tomorrow if weathers no worse than forcast
Retracts for viper arrived from HK and with a little work they should fit in the wing Also came were the thin aileron servos. With the servo adaptors made today ( access to a lathe) should be able to start assy of the hidden linkage : See http://www.irfmachineworks.com/rds/
ATB
Dale
Image Image Image

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hello Mate :hello:

Bad luck on those landings. It just HAD to happen with an audience 8)

I was belting down the A5 a few days ago en-route to Telford (by belting, I mean 50mph :lol: ) when I suddenly noticed what appeared to be a tichy windsock on my right. Glanced over again and saw something resembling a Super Cub doing it's stuff then looked again and saw what looked like a red Hawk coming toward me :-O Very impressive.. going like stink too doing the obligatory aero's :rock: I'd have pulled over but there was nowhere to park :| Forgot about it until now and can't remember exactly where it was to Google Earth it 8)

Good luck in the morning :thumbsup:
ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Well first time down the strip this year and nearly ended in tears :lol:
Took chippy as I thought that she needed a flight Started her up and taxied out quick check of the controls and rev up Off any away not very responsive though and being blown about summat rotten nearly lost her once when one wing dropped and nearly got into a spin :-O Brought chippy round to try and approach but miles out so went round again better this time so dropped her down and landed bit heavy but OK Only when I got her back to the pits I noticed one aileron not working. Found the servo had broke away from its mounting so we were only flying with one :doh:
Got back home and glued back in place ready for next time
Atb
Dale
Image Image Image

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hello Mate :hello:

I've not been out this year yet.. not been out for a long time. Wondering if I still know what to do? :worried: :lol: With the amount of rain we've had recently, the common is probably sodden.. stand still for a minute or so and there's a puddle around your feet 8) Missed a few good mornings recently.. even SWMBO commented it looked good flying weather. Not sure if she was trying to get rid of me or what :dunno:

Sounds like you had a bit of luck with the Chippie this morning :-O Glad you got the old girl back in one piece :thumbsup:

Wonder how Hobby is doing *-)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Hi guys :hello:

I know that feeling Dave. It's been a fair few weeks since I flew anything.

Weather here has been pretty poor. :((

Although in contrast to some of our members from far overseas, it's probably like the Caribbean. :lol:

Hopefully I'll be out with the Stryker soon.

The mustang is rather tatty now having suffered a fair few knocks.

She may be retired for parts later this year. It's not looking good for her. *-)

Have fun fellas!!
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Post by hobby »

Indoor flying could be the answer to remaining current.

Last year I joined a club with 22 members which meets every fortnight ten miles from my base and we fly all types of indoor aircraft - shockies, helicopter/multicopter and slow fliers. We fly in a sports hall with an area of two basketball courts and about 35-40ft in height. As a novice I began my indoor flying with a nano stik, quickly followed by the JP Ares Tiger Moth - at times we have three Tigers flying in loose formation.

My latest acquisition is a Flyzone Micro Fokker DR1. I have not had a chance to fly that aircraft yet but may do so next weekend. I have found indoor flying to be great fun and with the current lousy weather systems continually sweeping over most of the UK one way to keep co-ordination in practice - the other being regular practice on a Phoenix 4 RC simulator.

You may be quite surprised to find out that an indoor club exists near where you live - the only problem being that these clubs tend not to advertise their presence but the BMFA may know of one or two near to you. You might also consider defeating the current weather by contacting your local school/sports centre to ascertain the cost of hiring a gym or hall and starting a club yourself. The local Air Cadet unit could prove to be a suitable source of recruits.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Good suggestions Hobby and good to hear you're keeping current. Still not flown this year.. maybe a couple of months now. Getting to the point where I'll be a novice again :worried:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage