From the Earth to the Moon

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I downloaded Orbiter a while ago

But I couldn't get it to run

I had a folder full of file some of which seemed to be EXE but nothing ran up properly

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Tonks wrote:What's this Orbiter Sim and where do you get it... it sounds interesting?? You might even get me to load a sim of some sort on to my computer :dance:

Tonks :smile:

As an aside, just spent 3 hours in the VC10 sim... far to nice a day for that!!!!
http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/orbit.html

Check out the 'related sites' as well, some of the community addons are pretty spectacular.

AndyG

LongHaul
Comet
Comet

Post by LongHaul »

The base packs and a ton of addons are also on AVSIM, in the 'Orbiter' file library section

LongHaul
Comet
Comet

Post by LongHaul »

Garry Russell wrote:I downloaded Orbiter a while ago

But I couldn't get it to run

I had a folder full of file some of which seemed to be EXE but nothing ran up properly

Garry
Did you have the texture packs? They are sepaerate and have to be unzipped into the main folder before anything will work.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi LH

Couldn't tell you off hand

It was single zip to down load with lots of other zips inside I think. Certainly it was a single download.

But that was on my old failed PC so I can't check easily

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Vulcan_to_the_Sky!
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vulcan_to_the_Sky! »

Orbiter, for a free sim, has good graphics.

But I just couldn't get the hang of it, not enough time to read the manual!

I've also seen this T.V series, and really enjoyed watching it.

crisso
Viscount
Viscount

Post by crisso »

I find it amazing that all of us 'Classic British Flight' enthusiasts are on the same wavelength. It porbably helps in being the same generation as I remember all the NASA space flights in the 1960's and early 1970's.

I own the 'From the Earth to the Moon' Series on VHS, which I bought a few years ago and am re-watching it now. It was originally shown on C4 - hidden away on a Saturday lunchtime if I remember! (I mean it could not clash with 'Big Brother' now could it!) My favourite episodes are the first - showing the Mercury and Gemini missions (made me proud to hear there was an Engligh controller in Houston who was involved in the Gemini 8 problematical flight.) and; the fifth called 'Spider' - about the development of the LM.

Apollo 13 is one of my top ten film favourites.

As to Orbiter I have recently downloaded the latest version plus the NASSP Apollo add-ons. Can anyone be more precise (file names, etc.) where to get the Mercury and Gemini add-ons? I need to find the time to install it and rtfm as well as a help guide (forgotten the name of it but can be found on the Migman Museum site). I see there are also some Orbiter add-ons which are '2001' related (the film that is).

LongHaul
Comet
Comet

Post by LongHaul »

Crisso, could I ask where you got the NASSP Apollo addon? I got it from thier site, but the file is corrupt and cannot be opened with WinZip :sad:

With regards to the Mercury/Gemini mods, type "Project Mercury' and 'Project Gemini' into the AVSIM search engine, searching in the "Orbiter - Spaceships" category from the drop-down box, and you should get what you're after. There are several versions and patches listed, be sure to get the most recent! :wink: :dance:

britishtourer
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by britishtourer »

I to would love to visit the moon and stare back at earth. I'd also like to take one of the moon buggies on a grand prix - moon style!

Still, it is widely accepted by NASA scientists that it was easier to put a man on the moon than create Concorde, and there have also been more astronauts than Concorde pilots.

In a way I'm glad I was priviledged enough to see Concorde fly for the first and only time as she came into Edinburgh on her final flight. Yet still I would have loved to see the Saturn V's take off and watch the landings live but couldn't, as I am only 17 and wasn't alive then.

Why are we going backwards in human endeavour?
"Sir!!! Yellow nosed b******s, twelve o'clock high!!!"

"Break formation, break!!!"

crisso
Viscount
Viscount

Post by crisso »

Dear Longhaul - I downloaded the NASSP Apollo Add-on from the official site but, only last week. Remember its in 3 parts to bring it upto date 6.4.0 base package then the patches 6.4.1/6.4.2. Having said all that, I have not found the time to install 'Orbiter' yet! (You know how it is with pressing family matters, as well as mastering FS9/Vatsim, etc., etc.) Anyway, I just browsed the files within my temp folder and they seem ok/uncorrupted. I believe there is also another Apollo simulator out there written by a Frenchman.
Thanks for the tip ref Mercury/Gemini.
I have posted this 'gossip' on the forum rather than as a pm since, believe there is quite a bit of current interest amongst our members on the 'Orbiter' subject, as it seems to be a recent discovery for most of us.