Flying for Real..

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Flying for Real..

Post by DaveB »

Which model is it JD??

ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Post by J0hn »

Unfortunately, I can't tell you because it is stashed away in the loft at the moment. I wanted to make sure it didn't get damaged and didn't think we would have any wind-free days until much later in the year. Then we had two last week 8)

I can tell you it was a limited run model, which ended in about 2008 - so it's not a new one. It runs from a battery. You plug the engine-driving battery (a tiny thing) into the control housing for about 5 minutes to charge it up, then put it into a bay under the aircraft and off you go. Flies for about 5 minutes, apparently. It's made of some kind of styro-foam. :dunno:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It sounds interesting John. A 'trainer' you control alt using the throttle and direction by the engines sounds a bit of a handful. Get proficient with it and you'll be ready for anything :lol: Surprised it doesn't have ailerons/elevator (3 channel.. add the engine/s as the third) as this is generally a base minimum. I'd say it's not a 'serious' trainer.. more a bit of fun.. nowt wrong with that ;)

'Foamies' are pretty much exclusively made of EPO foam these days.. probably not what your model is made of but don't let that worry you as there's a wide variety of glues on the market to help you repair just about anything ;)

Hope you have fun with it :thumbsup:

ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Post by J0hn »

I think it was made by a company who don't usually do R/C models. It was some kind of special edition thing - can't remember the name of the company, but I'm thinking that the model itself doesn't actually have a name - just the "Brand Name Trainer" or similar. I did look it up on the web, but apart from finding the page about the one I was given, I could find no info about it anywhere.

Yes, you are supposed to use the power of the engines to turn the thing! Sounds nuts - and I told my brother it wouldn't survive it's first flight. Still wondering why on Earth he bought me it! :dunno:

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Post by J0hn »

Ah - gimme gimme gimme!!!

http://www.carf-models.com/public_carf/ ... proId=2773

Wow! Would love one of those! Think I'd probably need to remortgage the house to buy one, though. :(

The Swiss one is looking good, too ;)

http://www.carf-models.com/public_carf/ ... large4.jpg

ahem.... :-#

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

They both look too fast for me! :lol:

ATB
Dave
ImageImage

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Well the battery connectors arrived yesterday on a slow boat from china So tonight, finally connected up the 6 cell lipo to the viperjet's esc Tried the model up and down the garden a couple of times Retracts seem up to be up to the grass and would guess she should rotate ok after 50yds or so given "urge" from the fan The fan is rated at 3kg thrust but i cant think of an easy way of proving this. It is what it is anyhow. Recharging the lipo at the moment and up to now has put 4500 into a 5000 so was fairly flat before we started Will try it next time fully charged :lol:
ATB
Dale
Image Image Image

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

That's great mate :thumbsup:

I noticed the flying field inbetween Penkridge and Huntington had been cut the other day for the first time this year and when I went past today, there were around 4 or 5 bods there. One was at the flightline flying something rather tame looking. Will keep an eye open from now on :)

EDIT: Oh, btw... the running battle with HK and my good self has finally reached an end (yesterday-Wed). I'd opened a claim with Paypay to get the second payment for the order back when out of the blue, a duplicate order arrived! I was more than a little peeved.. even more so when I reported this to HK and customer services got back saying they'd bill me for them if I wanted to keep them :-O :wall: Today, I received another refund for $18 from them ;)

ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage

Effoh
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Effoh »

Stumbled across this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7-lUBm-Guw LMA show at Cosford last year
Rgds,

Colin
Gentleman (n.) Someone who knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn't

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

The Sea Fury looked like it might be interesting. Heard someone say 'have a good flight' and then you saw it landing 8) :lol:

Think I saw the Viper our Dale has just bought too :thumbsup:

ATB
Dave :)
ImageImage