Captain Sim query

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Captain Sim query

Post by Paul K »

I know of Captain Sim by reputation, and have been having a look through their products. The C-130 and the Boeing 707 are particularly interesting.

Has anyone got either of these, or any other of their models ? If so, what are your opinions of them ? They look astounding in the screenshots.

Thanks as always. :smile:

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I've got the C-130.
The model is very good, and is certainly the best Herc available. There are a few minor outstanding issues which were due to be fixed with the second service pack, but I doubt that CS will ever release that now :sad:
It is rather heavy on the frame rates, so not good for lower end PCs.

If you buy the expansion packs, you'll need the main base pack too, or you'll not get any sounds or panel. The J add-on doesn't have the correct panel, it still uses the one from the base pack.

Doesn't work in FSX either :sad:

Is it worth the money? Overall, I think so :smile:
Dave G.

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

I picked up the C-130 and 707 when they were going cheap at Christmas, and (as long as SWMBO isn't looking :worried: ) I'm not so sure that the 707 gave me anything that I couldn't get off HJG.

Others on the forum have been less impressed by the 757 package(s)!

alan cottrill
Lightning
Lightning

Post by alan cottrill »

Pual K.
I have both of these a/c and i have to agree with the comments previously posted,the c-130 is the best,the b707 is good,but also heavy on frame rates,and not as good as the herc.
regards alan. :smile:

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

All there products are pretty good, they get a lot of stick from the US, because they have a Russian (Ukrainian?) idea of customer service. The C-130 still makes my current system groan, so only buy it if you have a system that can run FSX well....if that exists :-#
ATB Trev

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

The Captainsim models are great, I really can't fault them. In fact the C-130 is probably one my most flown aircraft along with DG's Hunter and DM's VC-10. Well, it used to be one of my most flown aircraft, and this is where the problems are. I've changed PC's so my old C-130 won't activate and I've sent in three requests to Captainsim and also e-mailed any address I could find and have heard nothing back, so it's looking as though I'll be forced to download a copy of software that I've paid for from a torrent or peer to peer network just to use something I legally own.

To summarise; the models are top quality, the customer support is non-existent.

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Strange. I built a new PC, and installed and activated the C130 on that no problem :think:
Dave G.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Thanks for all the responses, chaps.

Dave G... you say there isn't going to be a second service pack for the C-130. Is that because they have stopped supporting it and moved onto new projects, or is it because the future of Captain Sim is in doubt ?

Allan L...I haven't had anything from the HJG since upgrading to FS9. Time to pay them a long overdue visit. Thanks for the advice.

Alan C, Trev...the frame-rate issue is a worry. I don't want to buy it and end up with a screenshot slide show. Trouble is, that Herc is so bloomin' gorgeous !

Chris H...that activation procedure sounds something akin to what happens when I re-install my Aerosoft DHC2, though without the grief you are suffering, obviously. Its been a long time since I installed it it, so not absolutely sure its the same process. Hmmm...poor customer support is a major concern.

Still thinking... :think:

hinch
VC10
VC10

Post by hinch »

i picked up a few CS products at xmas when they were going cheap (£5) for the day including the 707 and Yak-3.

now the yak-3 for £3 is a bargain, i really enjoy it. The model is very light on the frames and has so many good looking paints. The sounds are a bit weak but the guns sure sound mighty. I love my 2004 yak-3 (the modern one in the package) as it's easy to modify. I've put my flight1 gauges in it and it's simply beautiful.

the 707 is a thing of beauty also and flies wonderfully with nice touches such as being able to taxi on zero throttle. It looks amazing...but hits FPS hard in the VC. However for £5 i'm quite happy just to have kept the panel (with all sorts of sounds, quality side-views, co-pilot voice etc). The panel is certainly worth the price alone, it's fantastic in my opinion.

the 707 is apparently just a mashed up version of their original 727 and it is said that is very light on frame rates.

I do think most people will say they're all looks with no substance, but for the new low prices... it's good.

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Sp2 has been in the works for ages. With the release of FSX they have re-evaluated their priorities and have indicated that updates the C130 in FS9 will now not happen, although getting a straight answer out Captain Sim is next to impossible, any posts on their forum asking just get the answered evasively.

Don't even know if an FSX update or remake for the older products will happen. :roll:

They do seem to have a ship it and forget it attitude.
Dave G.