Display properties doesn't show up

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Display properties doesn't show up

Post by SkippyBing »

Having replaced one of my graphics cards with a newer shinier one I rebooted windows and right clicked the screen to bring up the display properties tab, and err nothing. Same deal through the control panel. Having googled the subject I checked the registry and there's nothing wrong there. All I really need is to be able to bring the Display Properties up once to activate the second display adaptor, after that the nVida tools handles everything else. Anyone got any ideas? This is all in XP SP2 by the by.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I have Nvidia and no probs.....on mine it also put an icon in the task bar.....is there anything there on yours?

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Yeah, the nVidia icon is there and I can use that fine, but it doesn't have an option to extend the desktop onto another display adaptor. Windows has recognised the card fine, and I've got a green light on the display indicating there's power going through. I've always used nVidia and had no probs, and to be honest I think this is more a windows problem. I've discovered I can get the Display Properties panel up in Safe Mode, but of course there's no support for multiple displays in Safe Mode!!!

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

It may be that Windows is opening the display properties window off the visible screen area.
Does the icon show up if you alt-tab?
Dave G.

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Thanks Dave, it wasn't that, I think it may be that some over enthusiastic anti-spyware cleaned out the registry a bit too well, however I've found a work around having hunted through the labryinth that is the Microsoft technical support files. Open up the new style control panel (Start > Run > Control.exe if you've got the old style set up) then click on one of the tasks e.g. Choose a Screen Saver. For some reason that opened up the Display Properties panel, even when clicking the Display Icon wouldn't!?!

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

I usually Right click on a vacant piece of the desktop away from any icon, and then select "Properties"...In fact that is the only way I do it :think:

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

I usually Right click on a vacant piece of the desktop away from any icon, and then select "Properties"...In fact that is the only way I do it Think
Yeah, that's how I've always done it as well until I realised it wasn't working, very frustrating then trying to figure out what was going on!!

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

When I upgraded my Nvidia card last week, I had to reinstall the Nvidia drivers. Otherwise I was stuck with the standard Windows XP display.