USB printer woes...

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DelP
The Gurus

USB printer woes...

Post by DelP »

Hi Folks,

Yesterday I bought a USB Brother DCP-130C printer-scanner-copier but havn't been able to install properly as I keep getting a 'Specified port not found' error as the 'Found new hardware' wizard does it's stuff.

The device and software was installed as instructions, but when connecting the machine to load the drivers the error pops up. I have tried repeatedly to install, cleaning out the software before trying again.

I have checked and updated any and all related USB drivers, and running services. There hasn't been a printer on this machine for a while and all previous printer drivers have been cleaned out.

At present the printer is the only USB jobby connected..in Device Manager it shows as a 'hidden' device, assigned to port usb001..(at location 0) the scanner part shows as normal and works.

XP knows it's there but says it can't find it :roll: ..so the drivers won't install properly. There's nothing on the Brother website to address this and I have downloaded updated software and drivers. The device doesn't show in the Printers folder so I can't get to it from there. If I try to update drivers through Device Manager I get the same error message...I've Googled for hours and tried a couple of things without result. I've switched sockets and cables..same result...

Before I make an expensive phone call to technical support I thought I'd ask if anyone has any ideas..it appears to be a USB port assignment issue, but I've been at this since yesterday morning and my brain has turned to sludge...in fact I'm off to work in a minute to try and relax :lol:

Any suggestions greatly appreciated :wink:

ATB,

Derek
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Derek, have you tried it on another USB port? I've got a number of devices that refused to work when I plugged them in, but magically sort themselves out when switched to another port!! :dunno:

AndyG

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

My only thought.perhaps a didgy lead? :dunno:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

Thanks Guys,

I've tried leads and sockets.. :wink:

ATB,

Derek
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

not had a Didgy lead before :lol: :lol: :lol:

Printers must be in the main USB ports not the sub ports.

Same with anything that uses power from the port.

usually there will be 2 USB ports in the main block of connectors
(these are the main ports)

then there will be some more on card headers or the front of you case these are sub ports.

Regards
Rick

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

Thanks Rick :wink:

The printer is connected to the main USB2 ports on the mobo..

Derek :smile:

Airborne Signals

Rich
VC10
VC10

Post by Rich »

Garry you crease me the only thing I can say is ensure it is pluged in to 1 of the rear usb connections, usualy 4 I think as opposed to 1 of the 2 front sockets
Rich

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Derek, sorry, didn't mean to sound patronising with my initial post; sometimes you need to ask the obvious questions, certainly do if I'm trying to sort something! :lol:

I came across a forum link that might be useful. http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=50080

Another thought. Have you loaded any Microsoft updates recently, as they have been known to cause the occasional problem!! :poke:

AndyG

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Something I do occasionally to clear old hardware is to run the following two commands from a cmd window. The exact instructions (source forgotten) were to remove a NIC but are applicable to hardware in general:

===========================================
"This situation is a good example of a relatively easy task in NT 4.0 that has become a hidden and difficult task in Win2K. Let's start with the IP address problem. You can get the error message you refer to even when you simply move the NIC from one PCI slot to another. To do away with the annoying message, you must delete the old NIC from Win2K Device Manager. Open a command-prompt window and enter the commands"

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

start devmgmt.msc

============================================
That starts the Device Manager. Then View/Show hidden devices will probably show lots of things you used to have installed. Be careful if you start deleting unknown items.

Have a look at the USB controllers section and maybe you can delete multiple printers and try installing again.

If not, then I'm out of ideas.

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Did a search too, and it seems that you are not alone, and none of the forums seems to give an conclusive answer:

maybe this search will get you closer:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rl ... ort+&meta=

Btw. are you using Vista?
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?