So whose gone back then?

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Bobcat
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Bobcat »

I will take another look at FSX later this week when the service pack comes out. Even microsoft are expecting a performance increase of between 20-40 percent (although 40% better on 7 fps still isn't very good! :smile: ) and most of this will only show on multi-core machines in the main.

Me - I spent over a grand last month. I built a machine around an E6600 dual core (really impressive chip I can tell you - probably the best value chip Intel have ever built) I put a scythe infinity cooler on it and it runs at 3.6 Ghz dead stable (default should be 2.4 GHz). I have turned it down to 3.4 GHz though for the expected high temps in the summer, as the cores were reaching 72C when running flat out for an hour. Most people are reporting on the t'internet that they can OC these chips between 3.1-3.7 GHz. They are brilliant overclockers!

Anyway, back on thread - I chucked in 2 Gig of corsair dominator ram (to enable good overclocking through the front side bus), a Radeon 1950XTX (which also o/c's stable by about 15%), and a XiFi sound card. Motherboard is an Asus P5B deluxe as well - not cheap!

So why am I telling you all this? Guess what? I set out to build the best machine I could and FSX still runs poorly on this machine. I could have gone for an Nvidia 8800 graphics card, but as most of the learned ones know on here, it is the processor that is the bottleneck - there would not be much difference between the 1950XTX and the 8800 cards in FSX. Obviously I was very dissappointed!

I can get 25 fps in unpopulated areas with conservative settings (autogen etc.) but over the fun areas to fly (Big airports with a few AI aircraft) is is back down to a jerky slidshow at 10-15 FPS.

Like I say, I will try FSX again after the patch, but I don't hold out much hope, and I can't get a (much) quicker computer at the moment - they don't exist.

Anyway - the good news...

I have been flying FS9 absolutely maxed-out, over complex scenery, loads of AI etc. and I can get a really smooth 50 FPS and hold it.. absolutely anywhere! So it seems my new computer was worth building after all! It is so smooth in FS9 it seems unreal, and I love all of my old aircraft, including most of them from the superb freeware developers on here. So I am happy for now.

As for the future... I don't think I will be uninstalling FS9 for many years. I now have FS9 tweaked to perfection (and backed-up!) and I love all of my add-ons. I will persevere with FSX though to see how things turn out, but I really think the switch-over will be very gradual, and I can see me using FS9 for a few years yet.

Trying to look at it with my glass half full rather than empty - there is nothing wrong with using them both I suppose. :smile:
With the big hard disks these days, it doesn't really bite into your storage space.

I think the FS9 version of flightsim could be the hardest vesion to turn away from upto now. I found it much easier to ditch the other previous versions and make the transition. Then again, it is probably down to the fact that we have been spoilt with so many quality add-ons in FS9 - especially some of the freeware aircraft.

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Hi Bobcat
Your comments are another confirmation of what I already feel.Perhaps in a few years....EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Bobcat

My System is Identical.

E6600
Asus P5B Deluxe
2 GB of Kingston HyperX memory.
Ati X1950 XTX
creative XFi

But i get 40 to 60 fps In Generation X with autogen added and sliders maxxed.

I get 25 to 30 fps in built up cities with AI about.
Ai sliders on 40%

thats outside the UK area

I would suggest TreesX as that is now all i have framesave wise set TreesX on Medium resolution and limited trees to

fsx.cfg
(shown are the ones i am using to sort out framerate)
[TERRAIN]
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=2800
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=1000

[BufferPools]
PoolSize=10000000

[Display]
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=8000

[Main]
DisablePreload=1

Everything else is maxxed
Hope this helps.

I ony use FS9 for Flightzone 1 & 2 & Flytampa St Maarten.
Nothing else looks as good as Generation X for me.

I also have to keep FS9 on my PC to develop model for both sims.

Regards
Rick

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Honestly, I'm not flying FSX much, but not because of any other reason than I'm flying my "Classic FS9" install more than anything else as of late. Nothing like flying the classic propliners and early jets of the 1958-1963 era at period airports with period navigation techniques, period traffic, even if it isn't with period ATC...

I think with CaptainSim comes out with the C-130 for FSX and PMDG updates the 737NG, I'll probably make the conversion full time, but until then, I'm sticking with what I've got and flying FSX only occasionally and then, usually only for some bush flying and missions that I see that are cool.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

I haven't actually started FSX for a very long time and I doubt whether I ever will again. My FS9 is a true Flight Simulator and runs extremely well. I don't really like games and I will probably uninstall FSX.

steelsporran
VC10
VC10

Post by steelsporran »

jonesey2k wrote:There are people who have only just binned FS2002!
Guilty as charged and I'll be sticking with FS9 until I get a Cray.
steelsporran

Bobcat
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Bobcat »

@ Rick

Thanks for the config tips Rick!
Some interesting numbers there - I will give them a try. As we have almost identical machines I can hopefully get some better frame rates.

I forgot to mention, I run at 1600x1200, 4xAA, 16xAF. Is that similar to yours?

Generation X looks stunning, and now they are adding 3d objects (bridges etc) I don't think I will be able to resist much longer. The roads are so clear it looks like you could easily navigate visually using OS maps, is that right?

Thanks for the tip on TreesX. I have seen it mentioned but I was unsure. I will give it a go after I install SP1 (due later this week hopefully :roll: ). It appears us lucky ones with dual core (or quad) will be able to turn the autogen and other settings up a bit after SP1. Not sure if single core users will benefit much though.

The settings I would really like are the higher water settings and the sun bloom (I forget the proper term for it at the moment), but they both bring my new machine to its knees. Sun bloom is a real killer - I hear the way it has to work it halves your frame rates.

I have tinkered with most of the settings you mention (although with completely different numbers - TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400 etc.) but I haven't seen 'DisablePreload=1' before - any idea what that does?

Rob

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Bobcat

I run 1680 x 1050 32 bit on a 20" widescreen TFT with 6xAA & 16 x AF inc 4x Temporal AA too
which can only be slower but looks gorgeous.

Regards
Rick

Bobcat
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Bobcat »

petermcleland wrote:I haven't actually started FSX for a very long time and I doubt whether I ever will again. My FS9 is a true Flight Simulator and runs extremely well. I don't really like games and I will probably uninstall FSX.
:lol: I know what you mean! Hopefully they can gradually improve it. I hope the expected service pack will be the start of the improvement.

The thing that really bothers me is having to 'upgrade' to Vista to get the DX10 upgrade, as I'm sure I will get tempted. I'm not having a go at Vista by the way, I'm sure it is another thing they will put right eventually - it's just the cost and the hassle of installing over the top of XP.

Bobcat
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Bobcat »

Rick Piper wrote:Hi Bobcat

I run 1680 x 1050 32 bit on a 20" widescreen TFT with 6xAA & 16 x AF inc 4x Temporal AA too
which can only be slower but looks gorgeous.

Regards
Rick
Thanks once again Rick. I have fiddled with the temporal AA setting but I'm not sure if I can see any difference. I will have to give it another go when my eyes are less tired. :worried: