First Impressions of FSX SP1

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Peter..

Yes.. the second monitor blanking out is something I'd not considered. I looked at an alternative a couple of weeks ago (Flightsim Commander v8) and found I couldn't get it to display on the second monitor while in fullscreen so off it went. Perhaps this single fact will kill FSX for me :think:

It certainly doesn't go with Ben's comments earlier in this thread (or made on a similar thread) that FSX is the way forward if the sim can't even continue what is the norm in FS9. This seems a retrograde step.. not a forward one :roll:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Rick Piper wrote:Hi Dan
Who's Ai are you using in FSX.
WOAI

Dave, Peter:
http://www.simnetwork.com/SIMNETWORK/re ... icle_id=30

qte:
Graphics Tab

<an illustration>

Note here, if you’re running dual monitors like I am, you need to pull down the list and select the 2nd monitor – set it to exactly the same settings as the primary one.

unqte
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

That's 'sort of' helpful Dan but as my primary monitor is a 19" CRT and the secondary is a 17" CRT (could be a 17" TFT if I pull it off this system!).. the 17's aren't particularly chuffed working at the same res as the 19".

Anyway.. I'm not gonna bust a gut until FSNv5 appears.. don't like FSC8 :huf:

Tks for the pointers anyway. Pity it doesn't work straight out of the box! :poke:

ATB

ImageImage

airboatr

Post by airboatr »

petermcleland wrote:
DaveB wrote:Now.. if he turned round and said 'That was it'.. I'd worry :lol:
but even that has changed for no good reason :think:
thats probably the reason.....
:k: no good reason....

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

DanKH wrote:
Rick Piper wrote:Hi Dan
Who's Ai are you using in FSX.
WOAI

Dave, Peter:
http://www.simnetwork.com/SIMNETWORK/re ... icle_id=30

qte:
Graphics Tab

<an illustration>

Note here, if you’re running dual monitors like I am, you need to pull down the list and select the 2nd monitor – set it to exactly the same settings as the primary one.

unqte
Dan,

I think you are referring to "Windowed Mode"...I only use "Full Screen Mode".

BTW...You are advised to undo ALL those tweaks because many of them are now redundant or even harmful with the update installed :smile:

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

Could some kind soul recreate my check flight at Valley to see if you also get serious stutters there?
I flew tha Alpha Vampire around in circles and it was better there than many other places I have tried. This is because of or AI traffic. I have uninstalled Horizon VFR S and SE and this has made other parts of the UK better, using default scenery for all the UK. Have you done a defrag?
ATB Trev

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

Defragged to death...

However I returned to Valley but this time I disabled Horizon's Gen-X and behold no stutters at all - anywhere! Previously I had Gen-X but not Number 3 installed - Valley and immediate area were stock scenery but I did have Gen-X just over the horizon (so to speak). It would seem the culprit for these stutters is Horizon's Gen-X and not just for those areas with the photo scenery coverage, e.g. now no more stutters at Montpelier.

This grieves me because it would appear that Gen-X is a significant problem and this is not something I really wanted; still look on the bright side FSX now performs beautifully - even on my cobbled together mid-range system.

I had seen posts at Horizon's forum saying that stutters were back but much worse - I've had an interesting time disabling sound cards, changing drivers, stopping services etc but all to no avail as far as Gen-X is concerned.

Regards,
Chris

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Chris..

It's an odd one for sure. Rick spoke of it as the dawn of a new age as far as FSX was concerned but I've only ever had stutters with it and bad ones at that.. so much so that I've had it disabled :sad: SP1 has sped things up a little for GenX but still not enough for me to load it. I thought I'd got away with it taking off from Bembridge in a default Baron.. nice and smooth and all running quickly.. until I banked right :poke:

I have the patch installed and have read the Horizon forums from stem to stern trying everything in between but still it's cr@p :sad: The only good point is that I never bothered loading Vols 2 and 3 :huf:

ATB

ImageImage

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

I have the same thing, with Horizon VFR I was getting stuttering and very low FPS in Spain! Having deleted it, FSX is much better in other parts of the world, maybe it took up a lot of memory even if it was not visible?
ATB Trev

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

Hi Dave, Trevor,

It's a great shame about Gen-X, I really was hoping that it was a general FSX issue because it would be more likely to be fixed (at least I would hope so). On the other hand at least FSX works really well now.

I did see a post on Avsim that indicated that FSX loads other scenery elements, like Horizon's, even if on the other side of the world :shock:

It would seem that the folks at Horizon have a bit of work to do to make Gen-X usable. I'm going to do a bit more testing by enabling different elements of Gen-X one at a time. I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards,
Chris