New Pilots Please Read..

VA Crew Room and general forum area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Dave

just came across this discussion regarding landing lights, just for your info I have always taxied with the taxi lights on then after line up on the active stopped then switched on the landing lights before brake release.

After landing and only when safely on the taxi-way have I switched them orft.

Regards Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

robbie
VC10
VC10

Post by robbie »

Seems we have a few differences in proceedures between us?, but I must say I've never been "Bonged" while taxiing, I fly at night and find it hard to see the high speed exits with the landing lights on, so as soon as I've exited the Runway I use taxi lights if available or no lights at all, doesn't seem to make any difference.

I got bonged last week at 1200ft having selected the lights on at 9,000 I was rightly very peeved!, wrote to the boss on that one, and did some testing, I was flying the Argosy BTW, so new guys be warned, the light selection can get out of sync on this A/C, what annoys me most is DaveB mentioned in a recent post, "go outside and check the lights are ON".

New guys keep it simple initially, and adhere to your check lists, try to fly A/C that won't exceed 250knts in the climb.

It's easy to get to make a mistake, it happens in real life too!. things can get very hectic at times, I use AS6, Radar contact and FS passenger, so each flight is very realistic.

Robbie.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Tks Robbie and Nigel :wink:

As suggested in my last post.. I did leave the landing lights OFF until I knew the nose was going to come up and escaped unscathed. Can't understand how JW got stung a few weeks ago now :roll: :think:

The Argosy CAN be a tit to understand Robbie.. so much so, I've added my own LL switch on the 2D panel.. just to make sure. A 3-way switch is one position too much for me!! :lol: Odd though, the HP7 has a 3-way switch too and I've never fallen foul in that.. LL ON = down.. Lights OFF = Centre.. Taxi ON = UP :think:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Viscount Cornbank
The Gurus

Post by Viscount Cornbank »

I seem to remember the Argosy required some special code for the lights do do with the motors running or something, it may be that a fault lies there that didn't render itself before the advent of Flynet. I 've never flown it live so can't say. The Herald is simpler in that there's no extension motor to think about, but I don't think the model has a taxy light despite the 3 pos switch unless the filaments dim or something.

Taxy light works on the Viscounts though and is handy at night :wink:

Cheers

Fraser

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Concur on that Fraser.. I think the lamps must dim :wink:

ATB

ImageImage

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: New Pilots Please Read..

Post by simondix »

'New guys keep it simple initially, and adhere to your check lists, try to fly A/C that won't exceed 250knts in the climb.'

I try and stick to aircraft that wont exceed 250 on the level!
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Ant1981
Victor
Victor

Post by Ant1981 »

DaveB wrote:
Landing Lights off below 1000ft. This applies to taxiing to and from the terminal. Rule of thumb.. Landing lights MUST be ON at all times below 1000ft and turned OFF at or below 10000ft.

Regards

That's certainly confused me. I usually put all lights on before moving from parking. If the landing lights were to be off below 1000ft, wouldn't it be an offence to be on the last part of finals without landing lights?

The mega confusion is where it says, off below 1000ft, then on below 1000ft :dunno: and off at or below 10,000.

I'm used to the procedure where they stay on until you reach FL100, the off.
I like this flight simming, it's fun.....

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Ant..

This thread is almost as old as I am and I'm more confused as you seem to have joined another VA not CBFS. Landing lights OFF below 1000ft is a penalty.. not that you have to have them off below 1000ft. Likewise, Landing lights ON above FL100 is also a penalty. You have to read the entire thread mate.

BTW.. Venture Hawaii have their own forum at Classic British Files. I don't want to seem harsh but we don't support pilots from other airlines ;-) The instructions posted here.. while covering all aspects of FSA DO NOT necessarily apply to other VA's :)

ATB

ImageImage

Ant1981
Victor
Victor

Post by Ant1981 »

I did read the thread, and what you posted first is contradictory to what you've just posted now. I wasn't actually seeking support, however I'll stay out of this part of the forum as of course it has to be a CBFS pilot to post. And as for harshness, in this thread and the other, don't worry about it mate, I'm probably better off with another VA if being spoken to like being in the RAF is 'this' VA's way. :lol:
I like this flight simming, it's fun.....

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ah bless ya Ant :lol: I don't think we've ever had a disgruntled pilot here (other than with FSA and we all feel that way when the system goes wrong) :) While all VA's have to adhere to FSA's basics.. lights on/off at the wrong time.. speeding below FL100 e t c, we have a few additional rules that are unique to us hence my comment above.

I hope that you enjoy your flying whoever or whichever VA you fly for as that's the bottom line ;-)

EDIT for Ant..
Btw matey.. that original quote of yours is a bit misleading. If you'd have added the line above it, it makes more sense..
It is probably because the original threads have grown too long or perhaps that they're just not being read but these are the other things that you as a pilot will be fined for..

Landing Lights off below 1000ft. This applies to taxiing to and from the terminal. Rule of thumb.. Landing lights MUST be ON at all times below 1000ft and turned OFF at or below 10000ft.
It reads a lot better given the full context of the paragraph don't you think ;-) As for the FL100.. well some folk like to leave their lights on all the way up to that altitude but some have got caught trying to turn em off at exactly FL100. As long as they're on at or below 1000ft and off at 10000ft, it doesn't much matter how you twiddle your switches :)

ATB

ImageImage