Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Sl4yer
Trident
Trident

Post by Sl4yer »

Nigel H-J wrote:Micro Star

PM8M3-V (MS7211 v4.x) Micro ATX mainboard
Nigel,

That's a totally different board than the one you have the manual for! (From the first post in the thread). Have you upgraded at some point?

If you're unsure, you can press the pause key during startup (when it does the memory checks, etc.). You should be able to write down all the info. The board number will usually be near the top, and the BIOS version at the bottom left:

James

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Useful info James :wink:

Nigel.. make sure you turn the monitor on first too and give it a moment to warm up otherwise you may miss that info. A restart doesn't always show it either :wink:

Incidentally, the Crucial site has a 'Memory Advisor' tool and system checker which will help determine your setup. Once you have that info and are still not sure what to do.. try using the 'Live Chat' function. I've just used it concerning my query with the PC2700 ram I got sent (when I was expecting PC3200) and a chap got back to me online in less than a minute. It works like MSN and so you can get any question/query answered in real time. Excellent service.

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Dave Late Edit added here: Sorry this was meant for James!! Steves' to blame for this mix-up for he started it (On another Thread)!!

Had a slight technical hitch with the computer after installing memory and when I sent it to my local shop he found that the motherboard was well on its way, in other words it may not have lasted longer than six months.

So a new motherboard plus 1Gb Ram with 256 left in from the other board and a 3GHz processor and a new case. After plenty of pleas and promises to the wife :doh:

Hope that clears up the mystery a bit.

Regards Nigel.
Last edited by Nigel H-J on 05 Jun 2007, 12:39, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Nigel,

I can just imagine the 'promises' now!! :lol:

If the memory is already in place and the pc is working fine.. then don't worry about it. If you have the 256 in your sticky mit and are wondering whether to install it.. an easy option would be to nip it back to the shop who did the work for you and ask them if it's compatible with what they've put in :smile:
Alternatively, go to http://www.crucial.com.. select UK from the LH pane.. and run the system checker. It will identify the size and type of ram already installed. Your old ram should be labelled PC2700 or PC3200 or at least show the memory speed (333mhz or 400mhz) so you should be able to see if the two are akin :wink:

Alternatively#2..
If it aint broke, leave it alone :lol:

ATB

ImageImage

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Nigel

So you've jumped from an 800Mhz (?) P3 to a 2Ghz P4 and then to a 3Ghz P4 in about a year.

Certainly overtaken me.

I hope that you notice the difference :lol: .

You'll be wanting FSX next!

Ian

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

I can just imagine the 'promises' now!! Laughing
I reckon I must be pretty lucky then. I don't have to promise, just pay up.

If I want a new PC, I just have to buy two. If I want a digital SLR, someone else gets one too (thank god for eBay).

But all is peace and harmony.

Ian

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Dave, I'm searching on whether or not there are any 'get out clauses' on verbal agreements!! :worried:

Ian, it was just one of those unforseen and unfortunate experiences, the 2GHz machine was serving me perfectly well and I was really happy with it, just decided to increase the RAM on it but when problems reared its' head I had to seek out expert advise.

Had a look at the motherboard and could see even from an inexperience eye that all was not good with it so took the only option available. Nothing worse than having to promise to get done what you have been putting off for the last few months!!! :lol:

As for FSX? Nope, not at this moment in time....She'll bl**dy well kill me!!! :axe:

Michael davies
Trident
Trident

Post by Michael davies »

So what happens if you have four memory slots ? and DDR2 667Mhz, is that good or bad ?, it seems to work ok, l've got 2Gig RAM split as 1Gb + 512Mb + 512Mb. The Mobo will take DDR2 800 so l'm assuming the 667 is knock down performance and the board can go higher ?, typical, bought it three months ago and its out dated already.

Plus l thought I knew what it all meant, but reading some of the above l clearly dont, who ever said a little intelligence is more dangerous than none...was right ! :lol:

Best

Michael

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Michael,

I'm so out of touch with Intel boards I'll not dig a big hole for myself but.. generally speaking, the first number equates to the throughput of data and the second equates to the FSB speed. These tend to be much higher on Intel boards/CPU's than they are on AMD boards/CPU's. The newest flavour is DDR3 I believe but what the actual difference is, I've no idea.

PC4200/533, PC5300/667, PC6400/800, PC8000/1000 and PC8500/1066 are the current DDR2 speeds and I'd guess that you'd go for the one which matches your FSB.. as you do with AMD :smile:

Incidentally.. it seems I was recommended PC2700 by Crucial as Asus boards (SOME Asus boards) require specific DDR400 memory or they throw a wobbly :shock: The A7N8X series are included in the SOME! :roll: Therefore, Crucial advise fitting PC2700 because it's known to be stable. I can't say that FS9 leaps or groans any quicker or slower now I have 3gig fitted but it's in and it works :smile:

ATB

ImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I can't say that FS9 leaps or groans any quicker or slower now I have 3gig fitted but it's in and it works
Dave, I read somewhere (from a reliable website) of which I cannot for the life now remember (memory....memory.....How I wish I had a better memory) :doh: was that FS9 1Gb was the optimum for FS9!! :dunno: