Bristol 171 Sycamore in the works

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Re: Bristol 171 Sycamore in the works

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Guys

sorry for not replying.

Currently i am making FSX only as in my view it's a better platform for making a detailed model without it bringing the host PC to it's knees.

I love FSX and have no problems with it as long as whatever i am flying is built for FSX.

Not saying FSX is better but it's my preference.

that main problem for me is being a FSDS modeller it's not a simple process to make a dual sim model.
it's possible but the whole thing becomes a compromised model.

you FS9 stickers will thank me in 3 years time when FS11 is so complex that there is no freeware
and the stuff i made full FSX SP2 native still works and no FS9 model even shows up in the sim. :dunno:

I know a lot of people are not happy with my choice but i can't please everyone and gave up trying a while back.

Every model i have started will at some point get finished but sometime is the release date.
I have recieved a huge amount of Hatemail since i built the Hawk as Payware so my attitude towards trying to please everyone has been kicked into the cold light of reality :$

whatever that latest sim is
that is where my target will be pointing as i like to evolve with the host program.
the only real problem with FSX is the fact Aces dumped it's development when it was half fixed.
ie: if they made SP3 and gave us what we payed the momey for it would be a winner.
but they decided that playing "Choo Choo" (as mongo would say) :lol: was where they need to be (much smaller market than FS) but hey what do we know. :dunno:

Regards
Rick

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

The people who sent you hatemail are not worth bothering about IMO.

In the world of freeware, I take what I am given and think myself damn lucky that somebody has put that much time and effort into doing it... for free!
If you want to go payware then that is your choice and I fully support you as why shouldn't you get a something back for all that time and effort you put into it?!

Keep up the good work Mr Piper, I'll buy you a pint if we ever meet. :)
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

kurt190
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by kurt190 »

Rick Piper wrote:Hi Guys

sorry for not replying.

Currently i am making FSX only as in my view it's a better platform for making a detailed model without it bringing the host PC to it's knees.

I love FSX and have no problems with it as long as whatever i am flying is built for FSX.

Not saying FSX is better but it's my preference.

that main problem for me is being a FSDS modeller it's not a simple process to make a dual sim model.
it's possible but the whole thing becomes a compromised model.

you FS9 stickers will thank me in 3 years time when FS11 is so complex that there is no freeware
and the stuff i made full FSX SP2 native still works and no FS9 model even shows up in the sim. :dunno:

I know a lot of people are not happy with my choice but i can't please everyone and gave up trying a while back.

Every model i have started will at some point get finished but sometime is the release date.
I have recieved a huge amount of Hatemail since i built the Hawk as Payware so my attitude towards trying to please everyone has been kicked into the cold light of reality :$

whatever that latest sim is
that is where my target will be pointing as i like to evolve with the host program.
the only real problem with FSX is the fact Aces dumped it's development when it was half fixed.
ie: if they made SP3 and gave us what we payed the momey for it would be a winner.
but they decided that playing "Choo Choo" (as mongo would say) :lol: was where they need to be (much smaller market than FS) but hey what do we know. :dunno:

Regards
Rick
Thanks for replying Rick - it was never my intention to p*ss people off. I had seen some of the development shots in FS9 and I had been looking forward to it a great deal. While I have FSX most of my favourite scenery regarding matters military sits in FS9 and simply isn't available in FSX yet so I had been hoping ........ I understand where you are coming from regarding modelling for FSX and yes I will slowly move across as more of what I like becomes available and as I learn how to use various FSX tools to do what I want.
The Sycamore will certainly be a worthwhile addition to FSX - one of the few truly native models and I am looking forward to it avidly.

All the best
kurt

youngharry
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by youngharry »

Like 95% of Flight Simmers, I have all sorts of trouble with FSX. It is a pain in the bum. My background is Naval Aviation and the infrastructure available in FS9 to support that addiction is simply amazing. I also played with Sycamores in the RAN. To that end, I would pay any amount of dollars to have a Flight Sim 9 version.

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

and the stuff i made full FSX SP2 native still works and no FS9 model even shows up in the sim.
I am thanking you already Rick and I thank you everytime I get one of the old props out of the hanger ;-)
I agree FS9.1 and FSX are both good in their own right and although I stick with FS9 as a preference, mainly due to FSNAV (oh I wish that worked in Fsx)
However I must say that the blurries in FS9 are driving me away from it ... which is a shame, I know FSX has a lot to offer and slowly I am getting used to it, FS11 that frightens me as I know that I will have just adapted to FSX when that becomes obsolete..or is it me becoming obsolete! :lol:
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Personally, I consider it very unlikely that real FSX models will run in FS11 but I am quite certain that FS9 models will not run in FS11. Won't bother me as FS9 will be my last Flight Simulator. I'm continuing to use Rick's beta Sycamore as it is still the best helicopter in my FS9. My apologies to Rick if the occasional screenshot of me using this fine machine is causing this thread. :$

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Peter I can't speak for Rick but it would be sad day not to see your pictures. I think MS are to blame for a lot of confusion re what will work in FS9/FSX and they compound that by bringing up the subject of FS11 when FSX still lags behind FS9 in the popularity stakes. I do think that FSX has heralded the end of freeware as we know it I guess thats because developers can go much further than FS9 and rightly require payment for their hard work, sad thing is that the end user has only a limited amount of money to spend and it can soon run into large amounts without even trying if you want the best add-ons. FS9 was and will be the last great freeware add-on sim.
I hate MS for bringing out FSX with out making it work with FS9 add-ons like FSNAV and simple things like "go to previous flight" Yes they added lots of nice things and improved a lot, but its the basics that it lacks that frustrate me. Like not being able to use two monitors in full screen, also the wobbly effect in VC on outside textures..
But in this modern commercial driven World I guess thats the way it goes.....
Just seems crazy that if Ford brought out a new Fiesta and omitted the 2nd gear they would be disgraced..but MS get away with it and show no respect to the end user by ploughing on to the next sim and forcing everyone to buy again.. Sad isn't it...
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Guys

Peter may well be correct on FSXI

and no problem with the beta shots Peter.

Rick ;-)

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I do think that FSX has heralded the end of freeware as we know it I guess thats because developers can go much further than FS9 and rightly require payment for their hard work
Can't help thinking of Tonys' remark above and of Peters' statement as well.......Could FS11 well mean the end of the road for free-ware? Will these developers decide that it is pointless spending so much time producing great a/c only to find that even more work or a complete rebuild is required to run it on the next generation of flight sims and get nothing for it?

I think David Maltbys' decision not to venture further with his Free-Ware Models is probably justified as much as Ricks' decision to go into Payware.

By the way Rick, keep up the good work.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

FSX is pretty much the end of freeware (IMHO), how many (ground up FSX) freeware projects have been released since it came out 20 months ago, I guess less than 100 in total. Two years into FS9 I was downloading several projects a week (or even a day!), so what is done is done. FSXI will be pretty much payware all the way, unless piracy kills off all the developers first! :o :o

Although still not a fan, FSX (SP2) is pretty much what I hoped FSX would be, if only MS had not said FSX will only ever use single core technology, and no benifits would come from dual-core (as in FS9), then I would have bought a different PC for it! :brick:

Maybe, one day in the future, Rick may see fit to release or gift the FS9 beta free (as an unfinished project, rather like DM's baby delta) to REAL Sycamore fans who cannot (for whatever reason) upgrade to FSX. Obviously he may well have reasons not to, as well!

She flies well (although has problems since SP2 came out :'( ) in this unfinished form and has one of the best helo flight models ever. Those who are running FSX will be blown away with some of the shots I have seen of her current appearance. Hopefully (when he is ready) Rick would be able to post them here.
ATB Trev