Hastings/Provost Question

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Hastings/Provost Question

Post by Tomliner »

Does anyone know if there are sims of the Hastings and piston Provost for FS9 and if so what are they like?ATB EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Eric,

The only versions of these I know of are for FS2002 mate. Can't remember who did the Piston Provost but the Hastings was done by D-GHHH Simulationware and had a number of paints done for it. Both are available at Flightsim.com.. search HP Hastings for the Hastings and Provost for the Provost :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

The Hastings (and Hermes) also had FS9 update FDE's applied. The Hastings series is especially impressive, there can't be many (if any) versions they missed out, including the Sapphire testbed. The only version of the Hermes still missing is the one without wings for display at Duxford! :wink:

AndyG

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Hastings

Post by Scorpius »

Although the model is good, I think the sounds are wrong and are more akin to Rick's Varsity\ Valetta\ Viking with the donks from the beaufighter.

I was lucky enough to fly in a Hastings from RAF Lindholme as a cadet, what a machine!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Andy wrote
The Hastings (and Hermes) also had FS9 update FDE's applied.
I thought that too Andy but they didn't show (or I missed them with a HP Hastings search) :shock: Tried again with just Hastings this time and they're there!! :worried: Don't ya just love search engines :lol:

Eric.. search Hastings instead of HP Hastings :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

AndyG wrote:The only version of the Hermes still missing is the one without wings for display at Duxford! :wink:

AndyG
Don't forget the early tailwheel Hermes looking like long pax Hastings and the Thesus turbo-prop Hermes 5 unless these have been done and I missed them..I only have the Hermes 4 :dunno:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

You are right, of course, Garry. They did cover the majority of Hastings variants, not so comprehensive a job on the Hermes. But what they have done is absolutely superb, as you would expect from that group of gentlemen! :welldone: :welldone: :welldone:

Anyway, you'll need a new project when you've finished the Freighters! :wink:

AndyG

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

Ted Cooke produced a Piston Provost which I think was for FS2002. I use it as AI.

It would be nice to see another one built as out of all the aeroplanes that I've flown in, must be the nicest to have poled around the skies. There was me thinking the Harvard was nice (well I would wouldn't I!), but the Provost was a gem. The closest I'm ever going to get to my second favourite type.....the Balliol.

Best wishes,

Martin

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

AndyG wrote:you'll need a new project when you've finished the Freighters! :wink:

AndyG
Hm........ :worried: I have several project lined up one of which will follow the Superfreighter and may well preceed the other 170's :smile:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

johnhinson
Victor
Victor

Re: Hastings

Post by johnhinson »

[quote="Scorpius"]Although the model is good, I think the sounds are wrong and are more akin to Rick's Varsity\ Valetta\ Viking with the donks from the beaufighter.

[/quote]

I am intrigued to know what sound set you are using - Rick's models appear to be aliased to the FS9 default DC-3 and Cessna 182 sound sets, which surely can't be anything like the real thing. Have I missed somehing here?

A long while ago I did a stereo upgrade to and old set of sounds for the Bristol Hercules engine, theoretically right for the Hermes, Hastings and Viking at least, but I have never had the pleasure of hearing such an engine running so I don't know how accurate the original sounds were. If it is rubbish, I'm not afraid of being told so and I would quite like to know of any sets that are better.

I also did the FS9 FDE upgrade for the Hermes, but to be honest I don't remember using the magic formula for the Hastings.

John